Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Overfill

psimms

Corvette
2006 Vert Monterey Red
I took my new 2006 C6 vert in for its first oil and filter change after driving it 1800 miles. The Chevrolet Dealer overfilled the oil by one quart. Put in 7 Qt. instead 6 Qts. as recommended in the GM owners manual. Now what to do? To late yesterday to call service writer about problem. I drove the car home, 16 miles, top speed 55 or 60 MPH. I did notice the oil pressure was a little over 40 psi when it normally in just under 40 psi. I hope no engine damage was done. What worries me is sometime in the future the engine might develope oil leakes because of this. How do I protect myself?

psimms said:
I took my new 2006 C6 vert in for its first oil and filter change after driving it 1800 miles. The Chevrolet Dealer overfilled the oil by one quart. Put in 7 Qt. instead 6 Qts. as recommended in the GM owners manual. Now what to do? To late yesterday to call service writer about problem. I drove the car home, 16 miles, top speed 55 or 60 MPH. I did notice the oil pressure was a little over 40 psi when it normally in just under 40 psi. I hope no engine damage was done. What worries me is sometime in the future the engine might develope oil leakes because of this. How do I protect myself?
No Damage is Done!! Just Take it back and have them remove a QT!!:upthumbs junk!!

Drain a quart.

DA mechanic should have drained a quart out. Stick with corvette certified mechanics and try a different dealership. Best of luck.:beer

First thanks to gmjunkie and ZOOM

Took the car back to dealer and after going through the Service Writer's act about how overfilling an engine with oil will cause NO damage and his first refusal to remove the extra oil and other such nonsense I had to show him pages 5-19, 5-101 and 6-9 of the Owners Manual that overfill is not a good thing he finally had his oil changer remove a Qt. of oil.

I talked to the Service Manager about this and he agreed with me and as good will gave me a free oil change. Now that the first change cost $77.00 that will work out to $38.50 per change. Is that about right for Mobile 1 prices?

Just to protect myself I am thinking a letter to GM might be a good idea in case the engine blows seals and the thing starts leaking oil all over the garage floor and other nasty stuff. Any comments?

psimms said:

Took the car back to dealer and after going through the Service Writer's act about how overfilling an engine with oil will cause NO damage and his first refusal to remove the extra oil and other such nonsense I had to show him pages 5-19, 5-101 and 6-9 of the Owners Manual that overfill is not a good thing he finally had his oil changer remove a Qt. of oil.

I talked to the Service Manager about this and he agreed with me and as good will gave me a free oil change. Now that the first change cost $77.00 that will work out to $38.50 per change. Is that about right for Mobile 1 prices?

Just to protect myself I am thinking a letter to GM might be a good idea in case the engine blows seals and the thing starts leaking oil all over the garage floor and other nasty stuff. Any comments?
Chevy Dealer here get's $68. I change it for about $40. w/filter my self!! The time I took mine to get it's First Service, it had a little oil leak in rear end and 2nd gear was Funky thay said thay could take a Look at it,but I would have to take it to Genuine Corvette repair Facility to get it repaired,thay did not have anyone that was Qualifide to work on it. So I told them to forget it!! I'd do it my Self!! Turned out Rear end had about a qt. to much oil in it, and was comeing out vent in top!! But my tran's was about a 1qt.&1/2 low!! After the Dragon Run Saturday it's go'n Back to Atlanta where it came from and I have a List to get fixed before the warranty run's out in Jan!! :upthumbs junk!!

psimms said:

How do you know this? Was it written on the RO??

Greenie said:
How do you know this? Was it written on the RO??

Sorry Greenie I do not know what the RO is Could you help me with this?

psimms said:
Sorry Greenie I do not know what the RO is Could you help me with this?
A RO is a Repair Order!!:cool junk!!

Greenie said:
gmjunkie got it!!!
I'v only wrote 500,000 of them!! Carpel Tunnel !!;LOL junk!!

gmjunkie said:
A RO is a Repair Order!!:cool junk!!
I don't have the RO (Repair Order Thanks) I only have the bill and it shows 7 Qts. @ $7.00 per qt.

Thanks again for your help.

psimms said:

I don't know what chance you have of that extra quart causing this... but I have a philosophy of "document everything" just in case.

Write the letter to GM and cc the dealership. Maybe even get it notarized. Send it registered. Maybe overkill, but it won't hurt, will it?

Tammy

psimms said:

A dealer to refuse correcting the problem,wow , GM might want to know about the service,but in respect to R.O's make sure you have a repair order of the first oil fill,and of the second correcting the first, due to paper trail that will never match, if you have a problem.
To sum it up though you should not have a problem, if you did'nt foul plugs
before problem was resolved you should'nt have problems.

MsSchroder said:
I don't know what chance you have of that extra quart causing this... but I have a philosophy of "document everything" just in case.

Write the letter to GM and cc the dealership. Maybe even get it notarized. Send it registered. Maybe overkill, but it won't hurt, will it?

Tammy

Tammy
After reading the 2006 Owners Manual again I found on Pg. 4-18 "Racing or Competitive Driving"
"Except Z06: Be sure to check the oil level often during racing or other competive driving and keep the oil level at or near 1 Qt. above the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine dipstick. After the competive driving, remove excess oil so that the level on the dipstick is not above the upper mark that shows the proper operating range."

This is good info. I also like your advice on documentation
Thanks ps

got oil change today on my c6,parts-$8.72;petroleum parts and fluids $65.87;waste disposal and supplies $$8.00;service-history adm. .30;mechanical labor $5.36;----sub-total $88.25;sales tax $5.30---TOTAL CHARGE $93.55---Holly S--t WHO'S making money here???? When the dealer charges $11.00 a quart ($65.87 divided by 6 quarts)== $11.00 a quart makes you not trust the dealer!!!!

I really like the "service-history adm." for .30, they charged you to track what you are doing..........

gmjunkie said:
After the Dragon Run Saturday it's go'n Back to Atlanta where it came from and I have a List to get fixed before the warranty run's out in Jan!! :upthumbs junk!!

Do I take from this that the C6 in the US only has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty? In Europe we get 3 years warranty and recovery ... good value with a Luxus pack which includes the US 1SB pack with headlamp washers, Z51 package etc

Oil change over-fill

-----I have found over many years that dealer (or anyone other than me) oil changes can be over or under filled on a regular basis. I am lazy and still have the dealer change my oil. On the day I pick up my car I always check the oil level following mfg guidelines (which is usually engine warm but resting {engine off} for several minutes).
-----When the oil level is found to be over/under, I take the car back and have them correct the situation. I also let them know I am not happy and that they have put my expensive engine at risk.
-----Something I have recently started to do===> I take in my own oil and filter for them to use (Mobile 1). Dealers will charge labor only - has been about $20. The advantage is that I am giving them the correct amount to put in and if they use my stuff, as they should, the job will be done properly. I still check the level after pick-up.

VAROOOM said:
-----I have found over many years that dealer (or anyone other than me) oil changes can be over or under filled on a regular basis. I am lazy and still have the dealer change my oil. On the day I pick up my car I always check the oil level following mfg guidelines (which is usually engine warm but resting {engine off} for several minutes).
-----When the oil level is found to be over/under, I take the car back and have them correct the situation. I also let them know I am not happy and that they have put my expensive engine at risk.
-----Something I have recently started to do===> I take in my own oil and filter for them to use (Mobile 1). Dealers will charge labor only - has been about $20. The advantage is that I am giving them the correct amount to put in and if they use my stuff, as they should, the job will be done properly. I still check the level after pick-up.
Yeah, but are you sure they used the Mobil 1?
I change the oil in mine so frequently, or should I say "with so few miles on it," that even ordinary oil (like whatever's on sale at Wal-Mart) wouldn't have time to get dirty. I'm sure you probably do the same.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom