Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! oil pan gasket CHROME

kendall_75

Corvette
1975 dark red
Hello all. This is my first post to the site and i am still working on navigating the web page.
I am a proud new owner of my first corvette. A 75 stingray and loving it. However, the owner before me loaded the car up with chrome and apparently did not have the gaskets sealed correctly. I have the oil pan and timing chain cover off right now and i want to make sure i take care of all leaks. I will be using the one peice blue gasket.

I need to know if i should use anything with the gasket. Some say no and some say yes. then some say use just a little on the ends, well what do you consider a little and where are the ends. Both the timing chain cover and oil pan are chrome.

Also, just want to make sure that i instal correctly. First i put on the timing chain cover and tighten it up and then i put on the oil pan???

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks, jody k

Also, i know i should loose the chrome but i have it already and do not have the money to spend on something else at this time.

Welcome to the site.
You'll find a lot of good information.

For the oil pan gasket, I would recommend Fel-Pro.
They are a brand that makes gaskets and are worth the extra price.
They have a lot of features that make them easier to install and less likely to leak.

Personally, I try to avoid using gasket sealant unless the instructions call for it. A lot of them (transmission pan comes to mind) specifically say to NOT use sealer.

Good luck and someone will chime in that can tell you for sure if you should use a sealant.

Welcome!!!!!!

My list-
1. take some 240 grit sandpaper and rough up the chrome where the gasket sets. Many times the chrome is so slick the gasket won't stick. Run the sandpaper lengthwise- don't make any channels across the pan rails.

2. Use a dot (NOT MUCH) of RTV at the corners where the gasket makes a sharp turn.

I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive (8001, aka "yellow death") to hold the pan gasket in place. Not very much, just a really thin line to stick it on the block. If the engine is on a stand upside down, I don't put anything on the pan rails, just the RTV in the corners as above.

3. Since you're replacing the timing cover, it goes on first, and the seal in the front should have the cavity in the back of the seal packed with grease BEFORE driving it into the cover. Reason is the garter spring in the back of the seal can pop out when it's driven in, resulting in loss of tension on the rubber lip.

Also, i know i should loose the chrome but i have it already and do not have the money to spend on something else at this time.

There is nothing wrong with the Chrome,it's all what YOU like. The only thing i would do (for now) is find the top for your ignition sheilding,paint your exhaust manifolds or install some ceramic headers,and fix your fan shroud.

thanks for all your help. i am in the middle of doing all this. i am working on retapping crank cause the pulley stripped out the bolt hole. yeah i know, i used it wrong.

i will let you guys know the outcome. my problem now is trying to find time to finish.

Sharkcar 71, you are very observant. i am going to try and get shroud replaced and looking at some ceramic hugger headers.

thanks all, Jody K

fel pro is the way to go but make sure you get the rubber one piece gasket. i did mine while the car was up on jack stands. i used a jack to keep the pan in place while i bolted it up to the block.

75-85 sbc 1 pc op gasket felpro OS34510T

Most chrome pan/tc are cheap asian ... and often poorly made & often fit poorly.

You do Not need a race gasket ... fp makes both replacement & race types.

Very good one piece rubber oil pan gasket for 75-85 sbc ...
... felpro p/n OS34510T ...
... it comes with temp plastic snapups to hold gasket positioned to block (handy for R&I beneath car) ... and a full set of new bolts & washers (needed w/ thicker gasket).

Make sure everything is absolutely clean & dry & very very straight. Use only a small dab of silicone in the corners.

I like tim's tip on roughing chrome.

Most chrome pan/tc are cheap asian ... and often poorly made & often fit poorly.
Have found that the case many times , now even the stuff we think is made in the good ol US of A is made offshore - had problems with brand name electric fuel pumps (holley) , distributors (notably accel) and other stuff made in Mexico , china or some other godforsaken places.
I would lose the chrome and use a stock pan and look for a good quality timing chain cover

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom