Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Oil Pan Gaskets

C3alex

Corvette
1978 L-82 Silver anniversary
Finally finishing up engine resto over the winter and getting ready to install the oil pan.
As I now see it, I might have trouble with the end seals moving around during installation. I read to put a small amount of adhesive on the seals so they will stay in place but I wish to use a small amount of RTV silicone on all surfaces.
Since this is my first oil pan install since I was 19 years old (now 65) I need to chat about the proper way to accomplish this hi-tech task without any gasket problems.

P.S. The Vette is 20 inches on stands and i'm on my back:ugh

Thanks .....Alex

I think Fel Pro makes a 1 piece gasket. that's what I would use.

I would take the gasket and gently rub silicone on both sides.
Then stick it to the oil pan so that the holes in the pan line up with the holes in the block.
Then GENTLY put the pan on.

Don't use too much silicone. If you do, the gasket will be able to slide as you tighten the bolts and that can cause it to tear.

Good luck!

P.S. The Vette is 20 inches on stands and i'm on my back:ugh

Thanks .....Alex[/quote]

i just did mine in my garage also, what a pita.

Buy the Felpro blue one piece pan gasket. The kit comes with some nifty plastic locators that hold the gasket in place while you install the pan (laying on your back). Put a small dab of RTV in each corner and you are good to go.:upthumbs

I just did my 96 Ford F-150 4WD, Took about 3hrs, I used the Felpro blue gasket with plastic locators, I'd probably still be out there if those locators were not included, they made it much easier.................

You need the Fel-Pro #34510-T one-piece gasket - comes with new bolts and the plastic hold-up pins. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom