Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Oil pressure stuck at 80 psi

SpeedyKev64

Corvette
1988 Dark Red Mettalic
I replaced the oil pressure sending unit twice on my 88 Chevy Corvette. Now, the oil pressure stays at 80 psi on the digital gauge. I am wondering if it could be something in the wiring or is there anywhere else I can check

I replaced the oil pressure sending unit twice on my 88 Chevy Corvette. Now, the oil pressure stays at 80 psi on the digital gauge. I am wondering if it could be something in the wiring or is there anywhere else I can check
The Sender needs to have a good ground when it's threaded in. Teflon tape can prevent this from happening and would make your gauge read high.
a break in the wire would also cause the same problem. To check for this just ground the wire and see if your gauge changes. (Should read 0)

The Sender needs to have a good ground when it's threaded in. Teflon tape can prevent this from happening and would make your gauge read high.
a break in the wire would also cause the same problem. To check for this just ground the wire and see if your gauge changes. (Should read 0)

How do you ground the sensor

How do you ground the sensor
I take it you mean when fitting it?
If that's the case it should ground by itself (assuming there's nothing to stop it)
Or do you mean to test the wiring?
If its the wiring and it's the single wire sender then connect the wire to ground using whatever works. a bit of wire stripped off at each end and wrapped around the terminal and something grounded should do it.
If it has two wires then you may be looking at the wrong part.

I take it you mean when fitting it?
If that's the case it should ground by itself (assuming there's nothing to stop it)
Or do you mean to test the wiring?
If its the wiring and it's the single wire sender then connect the wire to ground using whatever works. a bit of wire stripped off at each end and wrapped around the terminal and something grounded should do it.
If it has two wires then you may be looking at the wrong part.

I assume that I replaced the right part. The oil pressure sending unit is next to the distributor. It has two prongs sticking out of the top of it. How can I test the wire that goes into the oil pressure sending unit to see if it has a break in it.

I assume that I replaced the right part. The oil pressure sending unit is next to the distributor. It has two prongs sticking out of the top of it. How can I test the wire that goes into the oil pressure sending unit to see if it has a break in it.
39450.jpg

The one you have been replacing looks like this?
If it is then it's a pressure switch (don't know why most places call it a sender) and acts as a bit of a backup for the fuel pump relay i believe.
the two prong will have no connection between them when the engine is not running but connected together when it is running.

41011.jpg

This is the one that I think you should be looking for.

39450.jpg

The one you have been replacing looks like this?
If it is then it's a pressure switch (don't know why most places call it a sender) and acts as a bit of a backup for the fuel pump relay i believe.
the two prong will have no connection between them when the engine is not running but connected together when it is running.

41011.jpg

This is the one that I think you should be looking for.

I started fiddling around with a single prong connection on the lower right side of the engine towards the firewall. It had a black wire connected to it. Is this the right one. If so, how do I get in there and take the thing out.

No. It should be a tan wire.
The oil temp sender would be down low and have only one wire so that could be what you are looking at
There should also be some red and orange wire in the same location for the fuel pump switch.

No. It should be a tan wire.
The oil temp sender would be down low and have only one wire so that could be what you are looking at
There should also be some red and orange wire in the same location for the fuel pump switch.

Ok, where is the gold sensor that you sent a picture of located at on the engine? Is it easy to get too. Is it located near the distributor like the two pronged black one.

Ok, where is the gold sensor that you sent a picture of located at on the engine? Is it easy to get too. Is it located near the distributor like the two pronged black one.
Sorry can't help with exact location. Would imagine it to be near the distributor somewhere. or towards the rear on the drivers side of the engine.

found this in another thread though:
Look at the rear of engine, on the driver's side, across from the distributor. It may help to remove the rear plenum plate cover.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom