Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Pressure variations

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
Have noticed that my oil pressure on my 85 is erratic. Go around a corner and it drops down to 25 lbs, sometimes when idling does the same, while driving it is between 60-75 lbs. Has plenty of oil in it, no drips. Is this Pressure sender related ? or sumthin else

Who knows? The first step is to verify the accuracy of your electric gauge. If it's giving accurate readings at all times, then you have a problem which will become a much bigger one sooner or later.

The curious thing is it only starts doing it when the dipstick shows 3/4 or lower, which rarely happens. Had the rear main replaced before this started happening.

I would suspect that the oil sump isn't properly installed, it may be to high.

Glenn
:w

oh fune, nuthin better than dropping the pan. How can it be installed too high ?

I am not sure about the newer ones but the older pickups were pressed into the pump and could get turned when you messed with things.
Just wondering , you only replaced the rear main and not any others? Were other bearings checked ? With the pan off I would have replaced all the bearings, and the oil pump.

Glenn

Only reason for replacing the rear main was it was leaking thats all. It is a shop that has done other work on my car for me so I keep wondering if as you said they put the pump on backwards. It's just a real pita here this time of year in phoenix to work on your car outside, since the garage is full of the wifes stuff.

The sump could be twisted bring the inlet up, not installed backwards.With the inlet higher than it should be you would have the same effect as the oil being low.

Glenn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom