Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Oil pressure

firemailwv

Corvette
2001 6spd Coupe
What is normal oil pressure for a 01 LS1? when I'm running mid range RPM's, say 3 grand, I am in the upper 60's low 70's.

I did build the motor and it has a new Melling oil pump.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been a few years since I looked into them and hopefully, someone else who is more knowledgeable will add more.

Basically, Melling makes 2 kinds of oil pumps. high volume and high pressure.
A high volume pump means it moves more oil with the same oil pump speed. I've read on the internet, it is best to have a larger capacity oil pan.
A high pressure pump's relief valve spring is stronger than the stock relief valve spring. Therefore, the pump has more pressure than a stocker.
Bushings and shell bearings run on an oil film and never touch the shaft. Too much pressure would add friction. I'd bet Melling's high pressure adds more pressure without approaching the point of frictional loss.

Hopefully, this will start the discussion..

Driving home this afternoon I watched it and it got to 78 at 3500 rpm.

Hopefully its normal.

That sounds as if you have a high pressure rather than a high volume pump. Enjoy it...

Driving home this afternoon I watched it and it got to 78 at 3500 rpm.

Hopefully its normal.

That is too high, I would not want to see much over 50-55 depending on oil weight and temps.

I agree with "LLC5". Too much pressure. All that does is cost you power and heat up the oil.

No stock or even mildly modified LS1 needs a high-pressure or high-volume pump. I'd pitch the Melling and replace it with a stock pump.

Now, there are some very high-performance street or racing applications which need a better pump and in all cases, I'd use the Katech C5.R oil pump.

In addition, engine bearings and bushings use hydrodynamic lubrication. Or the journals "float" on a thin film of oil.

Potentially, a high pressure oil pump isn't good for bushings, main and rod bearings. Today's engines are built to tighter tolerances and excessive pressure can upset a carefully engineered balance.. As mentioned high pressure oil causes frictional losses or a loss of horsepower.

In addition, engine bearings and bushings use hydrodynamic lubrication. Or the journals "float" on a thin film of oil.

Potentially, a high pressure oil pump isn't good for bushings, main and rod bearings. Today's engines are built to tighter tolerances and excessive pressure can upset a carefully engineered balance.. As mentioned high pressure oil causes frictional losses or a loss of horsepower.

Agreed, the potential for bearing wash and high crankcase pressures are not a good thing for any engine.

I will get with the engine builder to see what he thinks. He only builds LS motors. Thanks fellas

Agreed, the potential for bearing wash and high crankcase pressures are not a good thing for any engine.

Nope, they sure aren't and that applies to any hydrodynamic lube system. The pressure keeps the journal and bearing from catastrophic contact. Too much is bad, same as too little..
The factory guys actually know what they are doing.. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom