Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Pressure

Corvette
2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
I just bought a 77 'Vette with 52,000 miles on it. In running the car around town I notice that the oil pressure runs between 30 psi (idle) and40 psi. Also the gauge is not steady, with the needle kind of shaky. Is this the normal oil pressure and characteristics of the gauge. If not, I would like to get it checked out before driving it any more.

Thanks.

I have a 77 vette with 109,000 miles and have the same symptoms, but have not been overly concerned about it. Hopefully someone within CAC has better info for us....Hoss

Its likely the sending unit.. they get screwy. You can buy a sending unit and see if that solves the issue.
Best bet to put your mind at ease is to go buy you a cheap mechanical oil pressure guage and connect it up to verify adequate pressure.

Thanks for the help. Going to take it in for a transmission and differential service next week and will have it checked out.

What should the oil pressure be at speed?

If I remember correctly the stock oil pump will have about 30-40 psi at idle and between 30-50 under driving conditions. Now I may be a little off as I've put in a high pressure/ volume pump that ranges from 60-70psi under driving conditions. It sounds like your oiling system is working just fine.

Dave

I thnk the rule of thumb is something like 10 pounds increase in oil pressure for every 1000 rpms being normal. 30 psi, or even a little lower, at idle is normal for a stock pump.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom