Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Pump and Pickups

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
I am having the rear main seal replaced due to a oil leak. The oil pump that I purchased from Summit is MEL-10553 and oil pump pickup is MEL-55-S3. The pickup is hitting the bottom of the pan... :eek:hnoes I have a 79 L-48 stock. Did I order the right parts? Are there any other configuration suggestions and from where? Vette is on the lift and needs help... :W

I am having the rear main seal replaced due to a oil leak. The oil pump that I purchased from Summit is MEL-10553 and oil pump pickup is MEL-55-S3. The pickup is hitting the bottom of the pan... :eek:hnoes I have a 79 L-48 stock. Did I order the right parts? Are there any other configuration suggestions and from where? Vette is on the lift and needs help... :W

Jeff,

Without knowing what the Melling pump pick-up looks like, I would like to ask you if your old pick-up looks like it could be fitted to the pump?

Also, you may want to search in the Melling website and see what is the clearance requirement...perhaps 5/8"? or so? Perhaps their pick was designed for the Melling pan...just hunches from me.

Summit reports that the pump and pickup are for a corvette 79 SBC 350. Here's a picture of the pickup.

The Melling pickup was designed for the Melling pump.

Jeff,

Getting old at my age...but the pick-up looks like the stock one. My pump has a tack weld to hold it on the right position.

Did you play with different positions (orientations)?

It turns out that was the wrong pickup and we were fortunate to find one on a Sunday. Here's a picture of what we needed and used. After the work was completed we noticed a significant difference in oil pressure. Starting it up for the first time it was at 80 psi. After the Vette warmed up, at 2500 rpm's the oil pressure is at 60 psi and at 3000 rpm's it is around 75 psi. No leaks so far! There is a good amount of grey smoke coming from the exhaust during first 10 minutes of startup. It partially goes away after warming up. Maybe the increased pressure has something to do with it? I wonder if this will go away?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom