Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil temp Q>>

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Ok, someone probably know this (I hope), but here it goes.

My electronic Oil temp readout is working fine, but the analog gauge is only moving a little bit off the low mark. Any ideas?

Do they run off the same sending unit?
Could the needle be sticking? Dirty?

Thoughts please.....

Mike

This is normal since the readout on the analog gage is not linear. Mine does the same. Truthfully, I don't even pay attention to the analog temp gages ...jsut rely on the dig readout. Read your owners manual! There is a section on this in the gage section....at least there is in my 1996 manual......

I know that the analog are not as accurate as the digital (I still have the factory sticker on the plastic that says so)

The thing is that up until last week, it did work. I would like to fix it. It is disturbing to look at the guages and see one not reading correctly. It makes it harder to know when there is a problem.

Mike

Analog Oil Temp Guage

I seem to have the exact same problem. I just got the car a few weeks ago and noticed today that the analog oil guage does not appear to be moving. Did you ever find a solution?(definitely aware of the fact that digital readouts are more acurate, but it would be nice to have the analog guage appear somewhat functional)

The analog and digital guages use the same sensor to display oil temps. Because the analog guages are nothing more than a needle that is pressed on a small shaft, there is a possiblilty that the needle might have come loose.

You would have to remove the instrument cluster and pull the needle and reseat in a position that points to the edge of the mark on the left side.

Just out of curiosity, what temp is displayed on the digital gauge?? In normal traffic, you should see oil temps ranging from 185 to as much as 210-220 degrees (assuming you have synthetic oil in the engine). I have seen higher temps in my 92 when the ambient air temp is high (90-100 degrees) and on the track I have seen 240+.

Retired Corvette Chief Engineer Dave McLlean said in a seminar I attended, that the LT1 is capable of withstanding oil temps in the 240-290 range for extended periods using synthetic oils. One of the things that he did as the Chief engineer for C4 was to make sure that the LT1 could withstand oil temps usually seen in racing applications with nothing more than synthetic oils and a small oil cooler similar to that found on the L98 cars.

Dave,

I noticed the problem last night when I went out to start the car and let in run for a while (weather is not good so I have not driven the car in a couple of weeks). The oil temp on the digital guage read around 145 but the analog guage seemed not to move at all (coolant temp readout was 188 when I shut her down).

In order to re-seat the needle, does the instrument cluster have to be removed or is it possible to just remove the clear plastic cover without taking out the IP?

thanks,

Tim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom