Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Temperature Questions

R

Roy M

Took a 500+ mile trip the last few days in my 79 vette. On the highway, my oil temperature would run somewhere between 160 and 170 degrees. But when I got into slow heavy traffic, the temperature would jump up over 200 degrees, at one point where did not move any distance for about 15 minutes, the temperature reached 227 degrees. This did not affect the performance of the motor any but it did put my nerves on edge. What can be done to stop this type of problem. I currently run 10W-40 dino oil, would going to a 20 weight oil help this problem.
Any thoughts or suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks

Roy

Not a problem

Hi there,
You really dont have a problem here, as conventional oil, depending on what kind you use, will not start to oxidize until about 300 degrees.
Synthetic will not start oxidizing until about 500 degrees.
If you were to add a 20 weight, your mileage may drop slightly, and it still would not help your situation.
I would say that you are fine, and enjoy the drive, c4c5

No problemo

Roy,

Your oil temp should run in concert with your water temp to a certain point. A little up or down is OK. On my '81, the only time the oil temp rises up near 230-240 is when I'm running 80-90mph for any prolonged time. And as expected the water temp rises too. C4C5 is right... unless it started pegging on 300+ you should not be concerned.

Regards........ Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom