Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil

lcjstoy

Corvette
96 Collector Edition, 06 orange coupe
I just purchased my C5 about two weeks ago and was thinking
it probability needs a oil change. I was wondering, does everyone
here use Mobile one or should I use another brand?
Len

Well I will not really get into this as I am not as mechanicllay inclined as some other members, but the manual calls for Mobil 1 for the C5's, and from what I have read from some threads here, do not attempt to use a standard motor oil.

$0.02

I am sure someone will be around with a more detailed answer.

Stay with Mobil 1. If for some odd reason you need some out on the road it is easy to find at most auto supply houses.
The only question will be what weight oil???:beer :w

Your display should tell you about when your due for a change. but if in question change the oil and stay with Mobil 1. Keep it simple and enjoy the car and the owners manual,you'll be fine.Good luck.

Len,

Congrats on the C5 and welcome the the :CAC from an ex-Florida guy.
Like the others, you can't go wrong with the Mobil 1.

:w
Guy

vett boy said:
Your display should tell you about when your due for a change. but if in question change the oil and stay with Mobil 1. Keep it simple and enjoy the car and the owners manual,you'll be fine.Good luck.

I agree with Vet Boy. If you change the oil yourself, remember that the oil
pan is flat and has baffles in it. So you must find a way to tilt the car forward
and wait for about 5 to 10 minutes for all the oil to drain out. Then don't
forget to reset the oil life on your DIC.

The manual calls for 5/30 but you can use 10/30 also, especially if it has
some miles on it. Happy motoring. :)

Mobil 1 is all I've ever used in my Z06, and I have no complaints.

I know MidAmerica Corvette offers a synthetic called "Royal Purple," and I know of only one person locally who's ever tried it. He loves the stuff, but as I've never tried it, I can't personally vouch for it. The downside to Royal Purple is that it isn't easy to find, not every store carries it.

Mobil 1 Synthetic, on the other hand, is easy to find, and it's the manufacturer's recommendation. I guess my position is if it works, why go against the owner's manual recommendation? Just find a viscosity rating appropriate for your climate and you're good to go.

:w
-Patrick

Old Dog said:
pan is flat and has baffles in it. So you must find a way to tilt the car forward
and wait for about 5 to 10 minutes for all the oil to drain out. Then don't
forget to reset the oil life on your DIC.

The manual calls for 5/30 but you can use 10/30 also, especially if it has
some miles on it. Happy motoring. :)

Thanks for the headsup as I plan to change my own oil.
I will us your advice, lift the back and be patient.
Len

Len:

I should have also pointed out that my ramps have indentations to hold the
vehicle in place, but I also have a small chock I put in. I am lucky as I have
a slopping drive way and am able to drive up on the ramps, have all
wheels on the ground, Em brake on, and the nose pointed down.

Just take your time, and be sure everything is secured before moving on.
It is an easy job.

Old Dog said:
Len:

Just take your time, and be sure everything is secured before moving on.
It is an easy job.
Old Dog speaks the truth,he once knew a fellow who didn't secure his vehicle properly and ran over himself.Old dog speaks wisely.Your car would miss ya.

I think it's important to stay with a FULL synthetic, as some oils are a mix of dino oil and synthetic. The other very important point to consider is that the oil meets or exceeds GM4718 - which is the standard for the LS1/LS6 engine.

Mobil introduced a new line of Mobil 1 oils called extended life - for 7500, 15,000 miles - etc. These oils do not meet the GM4718M standard and I would not use them. I understand that Quaker State and Pennzoil both are now offering full synthetics - and that they do meet the standard. If the oil does meet it - it will say it on the bottle, so look for that.

As far as filters go - I personally prefer the UPF44 (Delco Unltra-Guard), which are generally not sold in the stores, but are usually available from dealers and Corvette Specialty places. There are others that are good - including the Mobil 1 filter.

As to when to change the oil - you do realize that the Driver Information Center has an oil life monitor, right? The problem is if you just bought the car, an unscrupulous seller could reset the monitor without changing the oil - indicating that you have 95% oil life remaining. If you change it, make sure you reset the monitor - then I would follow that and change it when it tells you to.

GM spent a considerable amount of time developing that monitor, and with the full synthetic oils - you might only have to change the oil once a year or so, depending on mileage and use. The monitor is not optical - meaning it does not look through the oil to determine it's clarity or anything like that. It uses a complex set of algorithims based on throttle position, rpms's, speed, etc. to determine how the engine is run. An engine that is run hard will use up oil life faster than one that is driven gently.

Hope this helps - and welcome to the C5!

Thank you for your reply to my question, you have been
very helpful.
Len

blacksedan87 said:
I think it's important to stay with a FULL synthetic, as some oils are a mix of dino oil and synthetic. The other very important point to consider is that the oil meets or exceeds GM4718 - which is the standard for the LS1/LS6 engine.

Mobil introduced a new line of Mobil 1 oils called extended life - for 7500, 15,000 miles - etc. These oils do not meet the GM4718M standard and I would not use them. I understand that Quaker State and Pennzoil both are now offering full synthetics - and that they do meet the standard. If the oil does meet it - it will say it on the bottle, so look for that.

As far as filters go - I personally prefer the UPF44 (Delco Unltra-Guard), which are generally not sold in the stores, but are usually available from dealers and Corvette Specialty places. There are others that are good - including the Mobil 1 filter.

As to when to change the oil - you do realize that the Driver Information Center has an oil life monitor, right? The problem is if you just bought the car, an unscrupulous seller could reset the monitor without changing the oil - indicating that you have 95% oil life remaining. If you change it, make sure you reset the monitor - then I would follow that and change it when it tells you to.

GM spent a considerable amount of time developing that monitor, and with the full synthetic oils - you might only have to change the oil once a year or so, depending on mileage and use. The monitor is not optical - meaning it does not look through the oil to determine it's clarity or anything like that. It uses a complex set of algorithims based on throttle position, rpms's, speed, etc. to determine how the engine is run. An engine that is run hard will use up oil life faster than one that is driven gently.

Old Dog said:
pan is flat and has baffles in it. So you must find a way to tilt the car forward :)

I would worry more about the monkeys who change the oil at the dealerships and the quick-lube joints tilting the car. If they change your oil on a lift, do you honestly think they are going to tilt it? Especially when you aren't allowed in the work area to watch them? Yeah, sure!;LOL

Hi, how do I reset the oil monitor? Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom