Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OK, I am stupid-anti theft

P

puppyfang

Well at one time I thought I knew a lot but not so sure now with old age coming...just bought this 1989 coupe....some how I must have armed the anti theft because it will not start...I believe that the way to disarm is to lock the car from the outside, wait a few minutes and then unlock it using the key and then it should start when I put the key in the iginition....right....well tried this and still nothing any ideas or am I doing some thing wrong...confused and frustrated...thanks for any help

Your key has a resistor in it which needs to make contact inside the cyl. You could try spraying some contact cleaner in the key slot and clean off the contacts on the key.
Did you get two keys? Try the other key. One of them may not be correct or nonfunctional.

Glenn
:w

Your key has a resistor in it which needs to make contact inside the cyl. You could try spraying some contact cleaner in the key slot and clean off the contacts on the key.
Did you get two keys? Try the other key. One of them may not be correct or nonfunctional.

Glenn

Good points from Winter. If my VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) gets set off, I usually turn the key back to the off position, then just sit and wait for 4 minutes, turn the key again and it usually fires right up.

If you have alot of problems with it you can buy a VATS bypass system from Mid-America or Ecklers or the like.

Finally got it to work...not sure how but I got it started..am goining to bypass the "stupid system"...thanks for input

You actually don't need a kit, just some wire a single throw double pole switch and a resistor equal in value to the one in your key. If you do a search there is a thread on how to do it. I think I may even have it in a word file on my computer.

Glenn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom