Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ok,I want to get a new stereo but....

wannavette

Corvette
1986 silver metallic coupe
Not sure what I have now.It's a Delco radio that I assume is stock but it also has a cd player @ the bottom of it (which is not working).The spaker covers int the rear say Bose.
So,do I still have the Bose system?I would think the Radio would say Bose on it but all it says is Delco compact disc.
Talked to a guy tonite who told me there is big $ difference if its Bose or not and they can not tell till they got in there.

Easiest way to tell is to take off the door speaker grilles and/or the rear speaker grilles, if you see the 4" speaker in its own little box, it's a Bose. Taking this a step further, if you unscrew the speakers and pull them out, then feel around inside for the small metal amplifier box, this will confirm it's a Bose. There was no Bose cd player offered until 1990, but I have seen other GM 1.5 din cd players installed in earlier c4s, perhaps this is what you have.

What do you plan to replace it with?

Edmond said:
What do you plan to replace it with?

Have not decided yet.Probably will go with a Alpine or Kenwood unit.I have always been a big Clarion fan but there are no dealers close to my house.

The big question is how much do you want to pay? If it is a Bose and you want to change it out you will have to do all 4 speakers might be cheaper to send the radio/cd out to get fixed. That's if your speakers are good if not the are $$ to fix.
Ron
PS good link in audio form for info on repair shops.

wannavette said:
Not sure what I have now.It's a Delco radio that I assume is stock but it also has a cd player @ the bottom of it (which is not working).The spaker covers int the rear say Bose.
So,do I still have the Bose system?I would think the Radio would say Bose on it but all it says is Delco compact disc.
Talked to a guy tonite who told me there is big $ difference if its Bose or not and they can not tell till they got in there.

If the car is an 86 and has a CD then it is not the original radio. CD players were not a factory option in the vette until about 90.

The Bose CD receiver is a direct replacement for the earlier units so I would guess that someone just replaced the head. I don't remember a non-Bose CD player ever being made.

regular GM or GM/Bose - either way it's lousy!
best bet is to yank the entire system out and replace everything.

Alpine, Clarion, hi-end Pioneer or Sony ES are all great choices for a head unit.
than get the best quality speakers you can afford - it won't matter what anythng else in the system is if you put in cheap speakers. My preferences on speakers are MB Quart, JL Audio, Focal, or Boston Accostics. Every speaker sounds different and the only way to tell what you like to to listen to them and than decide.

Personally, I see absolutely no need for rear speakers in a car (except for subwoofers), especially a small car like a Vette. An excellent sounding and fairly simple system can be done by putting in a new head unit and run the RCA leads from the back of the radio to a 4-channel amp with a built-in crossover. from the front channels of the amp run the new front speakers and from the rear channels of the amp you can run one or two small subwoofers. 8" or 10" subs will be more than plenty and in a sealed enclosure the subbox can be pretty small depending on the model subwoofer. for subs, JL Audio are is my first choice by a large margin.

This would be a simple and easy system that would sound very good but it can also be easily expanded upon if you wanted to go bigger either now or at a later date.

BTW, if you like the Clarion headunits (their higher end units are very good) try Crutchfield)

I am an idiot.I never really paid close attention to the rear speaker covers but they say GM Delco not Bose.This whole time I assumed it said Bose.Easy enough to replace have A Kenwood head unit being installed as we speak.

WOW I cant believe I never noticed it till today:confused

So does a later model bose cd unit from like a 94 fit in a early bose like from 85?

hAZcAT said:
So does a later model bose cd unit from like a 94 fit in a early bose like from 85?

the radio pulled out of my car is a Delco unit not sure what it came out of or if someone had a dealer install it.It's a model#16170865.

wannavette said:
Have not decided yet.Probably will go with a Alpine or Kenwood unit.I have always been a big Clarion fan but there are no dealers close to my house.

If you didn't already have a head unit to install, and you mentioned that you also like Clarion stereos... Their are still a few DXZ845MC's out there... It is an awesome deck if your not boosting with an amplifier... It has Music Catcher that can record up to 80 songs off CDs... The backlighting is tuneable to match your dash... and 1 other nice little feature is you can program the readout to scroll whatever you want... as in...
"CORVETTE"
I also suggest Infinity Reference series speakers... yes... their are better ones out there... and always will be... but for the money... it beats any stock Bose system... and you will never know until you compare them side by side...
My 2 cents

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom