Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OK, Uncle. Saw Blade Rim's?

Idaho Slim

Corvette
1996 LT1- Blk/Blk. 1996 LT4 - White/Blk
I have seen quite a few posts, searched exhaustingly all over the web, but still cannot find anything referencing 11x17 sawblades. Some have posted they are out there ----- WHERE? Have never got a definite answer on availability or if they even exist. I prefer a 11x17.

I want to run 315's on the back of my 96 LT4 and have ruled out any spoked type rims, I want the sawblades look. I know not to run the 315's on the 9.5 stock rim. If I have to run my stock rims, I will go to a 285x40x17, but my rims are pretty beat up, so unless someone can reference where to find 11x17 sawblades, I guess I need to refurbish them. Suggestions? Refinish them how, powder coat them, chrome them (not sure on this option), replate them, what are my options?

Thanx!:confused :W;help :confused

I can't help with locating the rims. I'm not to that point with my car yet.

However when you say your rims are beat up, exactly what do you mean? Is there curb rash, or is the finish just coming off? If the finish is coming off, you can refurbish them yourself. I did mine, and they look great.

It's been a while, but the process starts by stripping your existing rims. There was actually a post not to long ago, that went into some detail. I can't find it at the moment, but I remember Boomdriver made a good post.

I can't help with locating the rims. I'm not to that point with my car yet.

However when you say your rims are beat up, exactly what do you mean? Is there curb rash, or is the finish just coming off? If the finish is coming off, you can refurbish them yourself. I did mine, and they look great.

It's been a while, but the process starts by stripping your existing rims. There was actually a post not to long ago, that went into some detail. I can't find it at the moment, but I remember Boomdriver made a good post.

Thanks for the nod !

yes, 11" sawblades do exist off of Zr1 vettes of the 90's...
Not nearly as common as the 9.5, they're out there. Heres a link to one source that I know of...

Wheels America*Buy Wheels
Look under 92 ZR1 chev Corvette

They seem to have ONE in stock, maybe a ph call will find another at a different store.

This shop also will refinish but not to a high polish. They only restore to the factory finish. I have polished several sets of wheels that they would not do.
To do that, you must strip your wheel of ALL paint and clear, sand down the rough cast metal starting with 180 grit, to 220--to 320--to 400 wet to 600wet to 800wet to 1000 wet to hard polish then buff.
I did mine and got a mirror finish. It was so good that I decided NOT to sell them as I had planned. Perhaps if someone offered $400+ each...I'd consider it. Nothing less. That sanding is LOTS of work and LOTS of time. Between each grit of sanding the wheel must be washed and wiped clean. Between each polish it has to be soaped and washed then wiped with thinner to remove the grease/wax from the polish.
The results speak for themselves and if the wheel gets curbed, it can be fixed unlike chrome.

Attachments

• finished product.jpg
    finished product.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 186
  • mirror finish.jpg
    mirror finish.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 199
11x17 sawblades were the stock rear wheels on '92 and later ZR-1s. Since many have switched them out for 5 spoke wheels there should be lots avaliable.

I have seen used ones for sale. I don't think they are very common. I looked for some for awhile. Gave up and put c5 zo6 wheels on mine. I'm running 295/35/18 on the rear and 275/40/17 front. Overall rear tire diameter is almost identical with the 275/40/17 so speedo was not effected.

I have seen used ones for sale. I don't think they are very common. I looked for some for awhile. Gave up and put c5 zo6 wheels on mine. I'm running 295/35/18 on the rear and 275/40/17 front. Overall rear tire diameter is almost identical with the 275/40/17 so speedo was not effected.

Nice looking Avatar! I found a set on Ebay, and they were gone before i could get hold of the seller :cry. I will keep looking.

IIRC, the 91-92 versions were painted. If you can find a set of 93 ZR1 rear wheels, they should be just like (in appearance) the original wheels on your 96. Keep looking, they are out there.

When I first started looking for a Corvette, I walked into a place in Wichita Kansas, and besides the Corvettes, he had parts sitting around. On the counter he had a brand new pair of 93 ZR1 rear wheels, one still in the box. Unfortunately, he's out of business and who knows where those wheels went.

BTW, you do know that these wheels have a different offset and they will stick out from your fenderwells about 3/4"?

More like 1 1/2", as the ZR-1 widebody was 3" wider and designed solely to contain those bigger tires.

Nice looking Avatar! I found a set on Ebay, and they were gone before i could get hold of the seller :cry. I will keep looking.

===========================================

You can stop looking - I have a set of 11x17 (rear) ZR1 sawblade wheels - these are remanufactured and have never had tires mounted on them (since remanufacture) and are as close to new in the box as you will ever find. These are OEM factory wheels (36mm offset) not aftermarket, and have the style of "cast" finish for a 1991-1992 as seen here:
Spotters Guide to C4 Wheels - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

If you don't yet have a set, or if any else is interested, contact me at joeymiller999@yahoo.com

I can provide additional pictures as requested (front, back, side, and can show the casting marks inside the back of the wheel) - just let me know what views you want to see. Anyone interested just send me an email and I will provide high resolution pics. I'm in the Chicago area for anyone who want to see them in-person.

As of 08-18-2011 I still have them - here are the pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45148682@N06

Well, it's that time of the year, getting the ol girl ready for summer, just bought a nice set of 11x17 rear sawblades off ebay for $599. Really stoked for them to get here, then putting new "shoes" on. Trying to decide which tires, wheeeee:w:w

When I had my '92, I went with the 5-spoke '96 Collectors Edition wheels for a while before adding the ZR1 offset 17x11 5-spoke wheel and the 315 tires. The ZR1 offset does stick out a bit but did not cause me any problems - I did put GS fender flares on my '92 and splash guards though.

If Goodyear F1 D3 tires are available, try to get a set. I really liked the way they looked and hooked and they worked in the rain.

Thanx Tuna! :w Ended up getting the Nitto NT555's, not much choice for 315's. My 315 Race slicks for the drag strip fit real nice but they are on 9.5's, I know with the 11 inch rim it will be more. We painted her last year, so really getting excited to see her with a new set of rims! Will post pics soon!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom