Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Old news: Roof flew off

nucferr

Corvette
2006 Z06 Machine Silver
Yes I know -old news but still wanted to report. So my 2006 w/2100 miles on it was cruising down a 4 lane highway this morning. I had been watching my roof panel-for obvious reasons- and had not seen any separation concerns. I had decided that since it is a garage queen I would wait until I saw separation. Well at 55 MPH i heard what I would describe as a crack like a rock hitting the windshield or a rock releasing from the tire thread and hitting a panel. Immediately I knew the air sound inside the car changed (I had the windows up). I lowered the stereo and confirmed something was wrong. By the time I found a good spot to pull of I had driven ~1-2 miles. The roof panel was gone. Turned around and drove straight to GM dealer and started the process. Body shop was closed today so Monday I will go down and set up the appointment.

Guess I was lucky, I was local, no one around me, and the panel did not mark up the car. Drove my wifes car down to the area but was unable to find the panel.

You, and everyone around you were lucky. It's a shame that the roof issue is still alive. GM did a half-ass job of addressing that issue. Good luck with the replacement.

I had decided that since it is a garage queen I would wait until I saw separation.

Lesson learned: Just because it's a garage queen doesn't mean that you can ignore recalls for stuff like this.

Glad no one was around to get hit by the roof.

some pics

Picture 007.jpgPicture 005.jpg

The parts are in. Per my dealer the panel will be painted prior to installation. I am leaving on a cruise so I am waiting until return (not going to leave car there 10 days). Will update post

Roof replaced..less then 2 hours in shop

Of course they left the lights on so teh battery was dead when I pickedIMG-20120605-00040.jpg it up

Glad you are back with a roof.
So, they bond the new one in place? What do they say about the chances of it coming off again? Hope not. :w

Glad you are back with a roof.
So, they bond the new one in place? What do they say about the chances of it coming off again? Hope not. :w

No -Thats what I thought they would do but instead the roof panel already comes bonded to a "sub support". Basically it looked like a small frame that mounts within the structure. They painted the top before I arrived. When I brought the car over they brought the painted top out and let me "match" it up for color (no issues) then less the 2 hours they removed the headliner-unbolting the existing subframe and bolting in the new one and reinstalled the headliner. So the new roof skin was factory glued to a subframe and my car was never in a paint booth

I tell you I have a higher confidence that this fix by GM is the right one (vs pumping more glue on the old one-the first fix that I never had done).

I do feel lucky-I guess my roof flying off could have hurt someone or caused a wreck which may have been my fault (GM has been sending notices regularly)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom