Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Only one tank full....

96Holly

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green Coupe
That is all I got from my "NEW" water pump. I got the mirror out to check the status of the "weeping" hole on the bottom. Evidance of leakage.

1) What the heck is that hole for??

2) If the pump is bad, I highly think that it is, were do I get one of those electrical pumps? And what is the diffucultyl level to install one? (power feed etc.)

UUHHHGGGG..... !@#$%^&*()

A friend with a '97 Z28 put that electric pump on... He said it was easy (but he is an electircal engineer!) I think the nuts/bolts part is super easy. The electrical may be a bit tricky, but I am sure It isn't too hard. My friend also added small lights to the dash to see when things were running. One for each fan and one for the pump... this way he would know in advance if it was broken so the car won't overheat.

They look simple enough....

They look easy to install with the nuts and bolts. I am assuming the foot pattern that bolts up for the water pump is the same on all 350 Chevy's? For these electrical ones they are only using two of the three bolts. Probably not a problem, I would just make a spacer the same thickness of the current mount and reseat the bolt.

Are there any complacations with that shaft for the current pump? Take it out and seal it or ????? (I beleave someone has a thread with that answered, I will have to look)

there is an electric pump made for LT1 and LT4 engines, it uses the existing housing... there are no problems at all with the bolt in part of it... basically, all the internals get replaced

I couldn't find that other thread...

I could have sworn that someone was asking about the shaft on the water pump.

Has anyone out there done this swap? (shaft driven Vs electric)

the water pump is coupled to the camshaft with a small metal slip on part. If you take out that part, it won't be connected anymore. To do the electric pump conversion, you will have to remove the waterpump anyway.

Thanks for jogging my memory..

The little shaft that comes from the cam is sealed by itself. I was thinking that the sleeve was part of the sealing mechanism. Kinda like the set up for the opti... sealed around the drive shaft for the opti....

:duh !!!!

Anyway, I only need to figure out the electrical portion of the job...

Any takers out there for some tips???

How about pros Vs. cons to the elec water pump????

I'm I over analyzing this? I get like this with my Vette. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom