Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

open air filter element

88canadianvette

are they worth the money? do they actually do anything for performance or gas milage by feeding the engine more air?:?

Personally,I think it does do some good.I installed an open and a K&N filter:bang and it raised my top end a bit.As I remember,I got a little better mileage,too.:w

i think just about anything would be better than the stock air opening. i coulnt beleiev how small it was and was wondering how the 5.7 could even breath. so now i will order the open one where it pretty much just a screen covering the front of the filter.

most definately-opened up the boxes on my old '97,'99 and now on my current '93 car runs better and yes i could feel the difference-always with a k&n filter :w

88canadianvette said:
i think just about anything would be better than the stock air opening. i coulnt beleiev how small it was and was wondering how the 5.7 could even breath. so now i will order the open one where it pretty much just a screen covering the front of the filter.

yeah exactly! when i took my factory breather off and saw how it got air and how small it was i was very surprised and bummed. given the tight quarters in there i guess that is the only way they could grab air. i ripped it out and installed an SLP system with the K&N filters. major breathing improvement. better throttle response. not sure it gave better gas mileage though.

graham

I'm going to cut my air filter cover this weekend. I already have the K&N and it really made quite a difference from the paper filter.

Does SLP have a website? Are they mainly an F-body mod company or do they have a lot of Corvette mods as well?

I'm not sure if everyone has seen the stats. on K&N, but they are amazing... independent dyno testing shows K&N has more HP than stock, and more HP than no filter at all!

cut lid

How would you cut the air-filter lid?

you basically cut the whole top of it off, so there is only a square frame left... you can use a hack saw if you are persistant... otherwise, a good power saw for cutting metal.

Vettelt193 said:
I'm not sure if everyone has seen the stats. on K&N, but they are amazing... independent dyno testing shows K&N has more HP than stock, and more HP than no filter at all!

The auto store I buy parts at, they have a display with a K&N and a paper filter. It's like a little blower that will blow a ping pong ball up a clear plastic tube. You can really tell the difference because the ping pong ball doesn't go all the way to the top, while the K&N not only goes all the way to the top, but it gets there fast!

I think the K&N is the most basic of mods. If you have a functional hand, you can do it!:L

Cut Lid....

Hello All !
I would like to say that I just installed an open lid, ( Purchased off e-bay, it included a TPIS foam filter and the complete stock housing, for $50.00) and I noticed a big seat-of-the-pants difference at the 3,000-4,000 rpm range, and my car was much more responsive ! Since my car is a CE, with LT$, I didn't want to cut the original lid, so looking on e-bay was a good alternative. I allready had the K&N filter, (Purchased on ebay !) so to notice a difference over having the K&N in a stock housing tells me it is definitely improving something ! Also, while installing the open air lid, I by-passed the throttle body coolant, and removed the MAF screens. Before doing these three latest mods, my car had run a best of 13.1@105mph in the 1/4. I think/feel sure that it will run something in the high 12's now, just by my seat of the pants dyno ! Just my .02 !!!!!

:w
Steve.

Steve,

See you like exploring eBay options just like myself. You really can save some money off eBay. I bought my K&N off eBay for $30 and my unused Flowmaster catback (2 mufflers + y-pipe) for $350.:beer

ebay

I can never find anything useful on ebay. Whenever I search I always get the HID headlights, neons, GM factory parts, and a lot of junk. How or where do u search in ebay?

This is funny to me because I purchased my car off of Ebay.(defenitely not junk)

with ebay, you have to be specific with your search... searching for "corvette air filter lid" with the search titles and descriptions box checked will show a bunch of cars, and some lids... there is one on there now for $15.

Thats right! Not to mention that you really have to keep looking and looking, like I did for my catback system. I kept seeing catbacks for C5's and the LT1/4's, but no L98's. I was determined to find one and I did. A lot of sellers use the "Buy It Now" option, I used that option and picked up my catback.

Matter of fact, I'm going to cut my filter lid today!

oh yeah, keep in mind, you can find some really good deals on ebay with mis-spellings... Some listings have mis-spelled words in them, and no one sees them... I search for some variations on words sometimes to see if there is anything out there.

I cut it today...

I used something called a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder, I think that's what it was called.

Just cut the top 2 and bottom 2 things first, then I did the sides. I also filed it a little bit with the grinder to make sure there were no loose pieces of metal.

When I drove it, I could feel a definite improvement in all around driving quality. I highly recommend this free mod to everyone who doesn't have it done. It took me about 10 minutes from start to finish.

So now that I have the filter lid opened up, I'll have to check the K&N more often to be cleaned right?

When I purchased my car almost 2 years ago, it already had the K&N air filter installed, but it was enclosed in the restrictive, factory housing. I gave it some thought and read as much as I could find about the open air lids. Not wanting to alter the original housing, I ordered a cut lid from Corvette Central and installed that over the K&N. I do feel that the car is able to breathe a bit more easily that's for sure as I can actually hear a difference in the sound that the air intake makes. As far as performance gains, I don't have anything concrete to back it up.

If you're thinking about it, give it a try. You aren't going to hurt anything by trying it out, and if you purchase a cut lid from an aftermarket catalog, you can always put it back to stock later if you like. :)

Where to search !

Hello All !
In answer to the question, in the search window, for stuff for my car, I type in "corvette 1996" and that usually yields an average of three pages of all kinds of stuff for my car, while not giving me the 200 some odd pages of stuff you get by just typing in the word "corvette".

:w
Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom