Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

opinion about an LT1 in a C3

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
I may be moving to a state where they check emissions....

There is no way my car will pass in its present condition.

My first thought was to restore the engine to original condition, but that became rather expensive (if I could even find a cross-fire setup).

Now I'm playing with the idea of a complete swap. I was looking for an LS1, but then had an idea. I can find an mid-90's F-Body and swap my modified L83 for a modern LT1. According to spec, it is about 60 hp more and I would see an increase in fuel economy. The transmission would be a direct replacement (my 700R4 for a 4L60). I'm not sure if the LT1 will fit in the same motor mounts as a standard SBC.

Also, since i'm buying a running car I get all of the parts, sensors, wiring harnesses, computer, etc.

I have thought about resale value. But 1) a 1982 corvette is not that valuable stock 2) one that has been retrofitted to a carb is worth even less 3) I think the car would actually perform better and could be worth more. Besides, it is my car and I should focus more on making a car I want than a car the next guy will want.

Does anyone have any opinions or advice?

As somebody who owned a 94 Z28 for 12 years my first reaction was "HELL NO",but the more i think about it it kinda makes sense. It should bolt in with no problems,your current headers will bolt up(AIR tubes?),and hood clearance won't be a problem. The reverse flow cooling plumbing might be a challenge to hook up to your stock radiator but shouldn't be too big a problem. My best advice would be to throw away the stock Opti-spark before you put the engine in the car and replace it with the MSD Opti. With the exception of the four Opti's and the intake oil leak,my LT1 ran great and was very reliable until i sold it last year with 190000 miles on it.Good luck with your project.

If you can get a deal on everything I'd say go for it but do yourself a favor and replace the Optispark with something a little more reliable.

Good luck and post pics!

Where are you moving to? Depending on the state, older cars may not have to get emissions checks after 25-30 years. Texas is this way and just requires a safety check (brakes, lights, belts, etc)

Headers will not bolt up correctly, head angle and port size are different.
Also, F bodies accessories are on the pass. side and vettes on drivers.
The 94 and up auto is electronically controlled and better than 92-93, which is also speed density system and the fuel injectors are batch fired.

Also, on any 86 and up engine, you will have to hack your wiring to get the gauges to work.
I know it has been done many times, most people use the ECM out of the donor car to run the engine and then get a converter to get the tach working.
But w/the price of LS1/2 engines dropping down close to LT1 prices, it is a much better deal, you won't have to worry about the opti, you get atleast a 100 more ponies and you will get 3-4 mpg more gas mileage than the LT1.

If you can get a deal on everything I'd say go for it but do yourself a favor and replace the Optispark with something a little more reliable.

Good luck and post pics!
Opti spark is pretty reliable and unfortunately Dynaspark has gone down in quality.
2 things will will help the opti, one put a hose to the weephole and glue it there and run the hose past the opti(this kills more opti's).
2) Put RTV around the seals when installing, I have done this and have over 40 miles and 2 waterpumps and the car runs great.

MSD is the best opti out there, just remember to put loctite or something around the rotor screw, it tends to back out at high RPM's.
MSD is supposed to have fixed it, but better safe than sorry, cause the opti is a pain to get to.

Besides, it is my car and I should focus more on making a car I want than a car the next guy will want.
Amen to that, Brotha!!! :beer
You've likely already done it (I would hope), but find out for sure what the policies are of the state, or more specifically, the county that you'll be living in. In CA for example, it's different between counties. Same here in Ohio. Only in the populated (re:commercial) counties have e-check. Cleveland, Columbus, Cincy... But we also have exemptions (thankyouverymuch!). They also just enacted a law here that if you can show $300 in repairs to try and pass the e-check and still fail, you get a one-year exemption. This allows time to consider other avenues.

Find out this info for sure before going on some unnecessary witch hunt.

All that aside...have you considered just upgrading engine with individual parts that are CARB compliant? Don't know if that carries weight with where you're going, but it might help. Most aftermarket places like Edelbrock have entire lines of CARB compliant stuff that still makes decent power.
Also, I don't know how much AIR stuff from the 1980 you can use to get the car compliant, but I still have all my OEM AIR stuff (minus exhaust manifolds) in a box. It's for sale...cheap. :)

(I thought you had a ZZ4 in your car?)

There is no way my car will pass in its present condition.

Are you certain that a 1982 Corvette would need to be checked? I have to get emissions checks on my newer cars, but there is an exemption for classic cars. Your Corvette is now 27 years old, so it seems you should be able to get an exemption. Call the DMV and find out.

Opti spark is pretty reliable and unfortunately Dynaspark has gone down in quality.
2 things will will help the opti, one put a hose to the weephole and glue it there and run the hose past the opti(this kills more opti's).
2) Put RTV around the seals when installing, I have done this and have over 40 miles and 2 waterpumps and the car runs great.

MSD is the best opti out there, just remember to put loctite or something around the rotor screw, it tends to back out at high RPM's.
MSD is supposed to have fixed it, but better safe than sorry, cause the opti is a pain to get to.

Or you could just have no Opti vent, and leave it alone like mine and have 150,000 miles on the original one like mine.

Or you could just have no Opti vent, and leave it alone like mine and have 150,000 miles on the original one like mine.

92-94 non vented have the problems, 95-96 vented do not have the problems w/coolant in the opti because they are vented.

You are a lucky person, I have heard people say their's lasted 90-100k never heard of one going 150k.

92-94 non vented have the problems, 95-96 vented do not have the problems w/coolant in the opti because they are vented.

You are a lucky person, I have heard people say their's lasted 90-100k never heard of one going 150k.

Its the OEM cap and rotor too!

The car lives in borderline desert environment, plus I had my water pump leak all over my Opti once for 3 days before I changed the pump.

I run distilled water in my system and I change it all the time! :w

I checked, and the car would qualify for antique plates, but not be emission exempt. I could try to re-install the emissions equipment and I might be able to tune it to get it to pass. I remember my dad driving to the emission station, adjusting the carb to pass, and then re-adjusting it afterwards.

You can get the 1-year extension if you prove you've tried to have the problem fixed.

I would love an LS1, but I have heard they are a lot harder to make fit. The LT1 would be a direct bolt in with some modifications for wiring and hoses.

I'm going to keep my eyes open and hope to find a donor car in my price range.

Thanks everyone!!!

...Now I'm playing with the idea of a complete swap. I was looking for an LS1, but then had an idea. I can find an mid-90's F-Body and swap my modified L83 for a modern LT1. According to spec, it is about 60 hp more and I would see an increase in fuel economy. The transmission would be a direct replacement (my 700R4 for a 4L60). I'm not sure if the LT1 will fit in the same motor mounts as a standard SBC...

Having done a couple of EFI swaps... they are awesome!:cool

I have no clue about mileage, but Hawk's Third Gen sells COMPLETE LT1 motors or around $1,500. Not too bad if you ask me.

...I have thought about resale value. But 1) a 1982 corvette is not that valuable stock 2) one that has been retrofitted to a carb is worth even less 3) I think the car would actually perform better and could be worth more. Besides, it is my car and I should focus more on making a car I want than a car the next guy will want...

:beer Absolutely.

Follow your bliss. You are also welcome to send me a PM if you have any questions about a swap. Having done it a couple of times... I have some insight and ideas about how to make it easy. A TPI swap is much like an LT1 swap with respect to having to install sensors, an ECM, and a harness.

FWIW- I'd go LT1 if you are going to a state with emissions. I'd think about using a 1994-1996 Vette set up only because you could use LT1 edit to make changes- if you want an OEM ECM. Otherwise, Painless has a harness and ECM like what is used on the RamJet (a stand alone, pre-calibrated ECM).

If you can get a decent, low mileage LT1 from Hawks... you may only have $3-4K wrapped up in the swap. That would be one heck of an inexpensive LT1 swap!:thumb

Opti Bashing should be against Federal Law!!!:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Early Optis can be vented too!!:thumb
Takes less than 15 minutes if you have it off,takes about an hour and a half if you don't!!:thumb:thumb

I know of several early Optis with over 200,000+ miles on them!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

To many Parts Changers,(Yes I said Parts Changers!!:L ) immediately blame the opti and change it when the problem is actually something else!!:chuckle

Yes,there is a difference in a Parts Changer and a Technician!!
Parts Changers,Think they know what they are doing!!
A Technician Really Does!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

I find more Corroded Fuses and Connections,Bad Coils,Bad Coil Wires, and Open or High Resistance Grounds than anything else!!

:D:D:D

PS.
opinion about an LT1 in a C3
I think it would be a Absolute Blast to drive!!
:beer

I agree! Nuff said! :thumb

AFTER CHANGING OUT THE OPTI THAT DID NOT HAVE TO BE CHANGED, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

Are you certain that a 1982 Corvette would need to be checked? I have to get emissions checks on my newer cars, but there is an exemption for classic cars. Your Corvette is now 27 years old, so it seems you should be able to get an exemption. Call the DMV and find out.

I'll scond that. My 1979 L-48 with a recent tune-up always passed the emissions test here in PA even after they adopted the 'new' federal regulations. But I would think that the state your moving to would have a exemption for a 27 year old vehicle. Here in Pennsylvania my 79 was always exempted from emissions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom