Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opinions wanted re: BackOff™ 3rd brake light flasher module

Corvette
2002 Z06
Opinions wanted re: BackOff (TM) 3rd brake light flasher module

Hello all-

It's a safety device sold by Eckler's for $45... wondering what the concensus is regarding its worth. It is a flasher module, about the size of a business card, that "installs in seconds" and causes the 3rd brake light to emit three short flashes, followed by a long (3.5 sec) flash. This sequence repeats as long as you apply the brakes.

Here in Northern Virginia we have a lot of tailgaters. My opinion is that if this thing helps prevent even one rear-ender then it's worth it. Anyone else currently using it?

Jeff

Imagine this. Your on the freeway in stop and go rush hour traffic and everyones third brake light is flashing. It would be distracting. Just my .02

maybe so but if that soccer mom in her ford exploder 4' behind me reacts to my brake lights sooner, it may well be worth it!

In California the law allows for flashing stoplights, within limits. Up to three flashes in less than 3 seconds. I have seen some new fire trucks with flashing LED stoplights. If legal it sounds like a good idea.

cd5, thx for posting the Virginia law. Wonder if that means that the flashing light is grounds for a ticket... will need to look into that locally.

grapeknutz, re the webelectric instructions... did you have a "1-wire" installation, or a "2-wire"? The guy at webelectric wasn't sure about the C4 3rd brake light wiring design.

Thanks!-
Jeff

thank you!

I've ordered the part from webelectricproducts.com and look forward to installing it. Can't beat the price!

ßill said:
In California the law allows for flashing stoplights, within limits. Up to three flashes in less than 3 seconds. I have seen some new fire trucks with flashing LED stoplights. If legal it sounds like a good idea.

The California law I believe is preempted by federal law that does not permit stop lamp flashing for the reasons above.

voorthuist said:
cd5, thx for posting the Virginia law. Wonder if that means that the flashing light is grounds for a ticket........

Are you sure that you checked?

RICE

I like the idea but if your bone-head drivers are as asleep at the wheel as ours are this it the only pulsing red light that will get their attention.:D

When will it become passe?

When everyone first jumped on the 3rd light bandwagon it was very noticeable, stuck out like a sore thumb, but now everyone is used to it so it really does not induce any increased noticeability.
Before long every car will have 27 red lights blinking at different speeds when you hit the brake with an HDTV screen on the back flashing shots of upcoming Lifetime movies and ESPN to attract attention.
Ah remember the old days when there was only 2 stop lights.....and you used hand signals to show your intent.

I asked one local cop here in VA...

and he didn't think it was illegal. I bought a unit from http://webelectricproducts.com, $31. delivered. It's got a "delay-repeat" feature, meaning that the brake lights have to be off for at least 10 seconds before the flashing cycle can be restarted. So if you are in bumper-to-bumper traffic, the brake light isn't always flashing annoyingly.

Granted I might never know whether this thing helps prevent a single accident involving my vehicle, but it seems to me as though there's a likelihood it might, so it's worth the $31. to me.

Spanishvetts, thanks for that lasermax link... I was wondering if a laser was available for my newest shooting iron, a G30.

Regards to all.

Jeff

Eagle85C4 said:
When will it become passe?

When everyone first jumped on the 3rd light bandwagon it was very noticeable, stuck out like a sore thumb, but now everyone is used to it so it really does not induce any increased noticeability.
Before long every car will have 27 red lights blinking at different speeds when you hit the brake with an HDTV screen on the back flashing shots of upcoming Lifetime movies and ESPN to attract attention.
Ah remember the old days when there was only 2 stop lights.....and you used hand signals to show your intent.
I'm afraid that you may be correct. During the first fleet testing of higher mounted stop lamps, there was a reduction in rear end crashes of about 50%. No one believed it. A second fleet test that was way more carefully done showed the same result. During those tests, it didn't make any difference whether was one high lamp in the middle, two high lamps near the sided, nor whether the lamps were flashing. So the NHTSA proposed to change the federal law in 1980. Whoa, the Republicans came in and ceased all rulemaking. Another fleet test was done on their watch, and the rule became effective in 1986 for cars and in 1993 for trucks. A follow-up study done about four or five years later showed a steady state reduction of 4%. More than enough benefit to make the lamp cost effective. But the bottom line was that the benefit was least expensive by having only one center steady burning stop lamp. Because of the need to make sure that there is commonality among signals on vehicles for instant recognition, dual lamps and flashing lamps were banned and still are. Regardless, you are still correct, that the value diminished. That is likely with any new signal on a motor vehicle. Look at school buses. First, flashing red high mounted lamps for student loading warning. Then the addition of amber flashing lamps. Then the addition of a fold-out Stop Arm with flashing lamps. Now white strobe lamps on the top. All to get other drivers to stop passing loaded school buses. Yikes. The red laser targeting dot might seam like a great idea, but there are probably some pesonal freedom or intimidation legality issues with that one!

Geez, I write too much!

That still leaves me unclear. I don't see anything there about how a DOT approved lamp, reflective device, etc. is ENERGISED with a momentarily pulsed electrical current is unapproved or illegal.

Help me out here, D.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom