Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opti Spark Symptoms, PLEASE POST

I think exactly what you suspect. Pretty obvious. Typical GM pump. 3K miles? Anything goes with a Chevy!

Now I wonder how that opti got wet? Hmmmmmmmmmmm, let's see now. :)

Water pump...

I have heard that the water pumps are hit or miss sometimes. Was this pump pruchased at a chevy dealership? If if was than cash back?

I am a little nervious with mine. I bought mine at a NAPA parts store, cheapest one in town but with what I have seen in your pic's maybe I should have opted for a more reputive mfg/merchant. (Not that NAPA is bad but dealerships usually are good bet parts)

Thanks for this post. I have been learning from it.

Okay, after ripping my knuckles raw on the radiator blades, and making a general mess of my week, the swap is complete. New opti and new water pump in place. Just took it on about a 30 mile cruise with no defects. I will drive it to work the rest of this week and see what she does.

I borrowed the special itty bitty torx socket to open up the old unit. If you will see in this picture, it has been blown out by water/rust corrosion.

No doubt it was running bad. I think this was causing it to miss fire.

Opti-Drama !

Hello All !
Chris, I'm " Weeping " for joy at your success and triumph !!!!! LMAO.... Good post and pics, thanks for the source of info, as I'm sure this is a problem which I will encounter eventually with my CE !

:w
Steve.

Optis are the devil in disguise, I swear. :hb

Glad to hear that you were able to replace it and it seems to be running much better. Hopefully that will be the end of your troubles with it.

My new Opti and water pump just arrived in the mail yesterday, so my car will undergoing the very same thing real soon.

Good luck with yours. :)

I might have the same problem. Hard start, hesitates and backfires while driving, engine light is now on. Should I stop driving the car? How much is an Opti? get it from GM? Can I do the installation or take it to a garage? How tough is it?

guessguy said:
I might have the same problem. Hard start, hesitates and backfires while driving, engine light is now on. Should I stop driving the car? How much is an Opti? get it from GM? Can I do the installation or take it to a garage? How tough is it?

Easy to do?, well that depends on your experience level, and tools available.

The water pump has to come off as well as any accesories and brackets in the way. The lower pulley hub, and the opti will then come off.

It should take the better part of a weekend for a first timer.

My new opti and opti harness, from the dealer (I'll do it next time) set me back about $850!!!!!!!!!! That does not include the $75 tow which my insur. co. picked up.

Be careful, some ads price out a new Opti at $200 or less. I found out that those pieces most likely do not include the entire unit; only the white plastic half in which the plug wires sit. Rotor is included too, but often the problem is in the optical sensor and related electricals contained in the cast aluminum 1/2 of the unit.

69MyWay...That's how mine looked after removing it. Fully of corrosion and rust. I too had the same symptoms, which cleared up after new opti was installed. I'm glad you figured it out! Good luck with the project, it's a beautiful car!

Eric

I just took my 95' into the shop on Friday to replace the water pump and opti. I started smelling coolant and found no leaks for about 1k miles. I took a quick ride to the store and back and really noticed the smell of coolant. I looked under the hood and found that between the fan and the plastic that covers the radiator the leak was sprayed up to the inside of the hood. The pump was leaking and it was being sprayed up by the fan. I figured while they are replacing the pump to replace the opti (my luck I'd go bad a week after the pump was replaced), plugs, and wires. I haven't been able to drive the car for over a month. I get it back today. I think I'm going to leave work early just so I can drive for a while tonight.

-JimS

JimS-

Curious. How many miles did you get on your pump?

Ted

Wow, and I thought my waterpump experience was bad - I had 25,300 miles on mine, and when it was removed the majority of the bearings were gone. :eek Strange thing is is that the pump gave me no indication that it was on it's way out - no noise, no overheating, nothing. Talk about being surprised to see the condition of the original. :(

It hurt to have to have the water pump replaced. I wish I could have done it myself. I found that the pump was driven by the Cam shaft, and I didn't want to take a chance of messing anything up. When I spoke with several mechanics, they all recommended replacing the opti as well.

-JimS

It seems like the LT1/4 waterpumps like to get used... I have seen them with 100k miles with like new condition water pumps, and 10k falling apart... I managed to get about 85k on my 93, but the car used to sit during the week... guys who drive them every day never seem to have trouble with them... something with the lubrication maybe? any thoughts?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom