Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opti upgrade, Cam question

K

KDuniverse

I am in the process of upgrading my Opti in my '93, to the newer style '95-'96 Opti. My question is, about the cam, and the dowel. Is this newer style, not a direct bold on? I ordered the newer opti, the vacuum lines, the fitting, new plugs and wires, and new gaskets for the water pump. Did I overlook the cam parts?

I've been reading on the boards, and I'm getting confused witht the cam gear, and dowel. Do I need to change them or not?

KDuniverse said:
I am in the process of upgrading my Opti in my '93, to the newer style '95-'96 Opti. My question is, about the cam, and the dowel. Is this newer style, not a direct bold on? I ordered the newer opti, the vacuum lines, the fitting, new plugs and wires, and new gaskets for the water pump. Did I overlook the cam parts?

I've been reading on the boards, and I'm getting confused witht the cam gear, and dowel. Do I need to change them or not?

Does your cam dowel look like this one?

P1280007.JPG

I'm guessing that the '95-'96 are the only ones that look like that.

I'm getting conflicting info on bolting up the newer style on the '93.

KDuniverse said:
I'm guessing that the '95-'96 are the only ones that look like that.

I'm getting conflicting info on bolting up the newer style on the '93.

Hot cams are pretty cheap, if your doing the entire upgrade buy a hotcam with pin and your in the money.

Mike

Ok. So aside from a new came, and cam gear, I'm guessing that's all I'm missing.

Where, exactly, do the 2 vacuum lines connect to?

The 2 vac lines: one gets poked thru your fresh air intake rubber snout, the other gets tee'ed into left side vac. about midway(front to back) on the eng. block. There is actually a no name brand 'tee' fitting I picked up and it states for GM cars, that worked perfectly. You don't really have to change the cam. The fix I did was to use a '93 dist. with a '96 cap. I had to seal off the weep holes and make a bent brass tubing fitting, to hook up the vac lines. Good luck.

KDuniverse said:
Ok. So aside from a new came, and cam gear, I'm guessing that's all I'm missing.

If you go w/ the HC, I'd recommend upgrading to the Extreme Duty Chain (or equiv.)

If the dowel was changed for the longer, later model size, along with the cam gear, then this should work without changing the cam, correct?

EDIT: there's always going to have to be a cam swap with a newer style opti going on an earlier model. The cam pin is the issue on the newer unit, going into the end of the cam. the dowel issue can be swapped for another size, along with the cam gear.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom