Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

optispark

rebob202

Corvette
1995 LT1 coupe ... 1961 Basket Case
Does anyone have a theory as to why my 1995 LT1 eats optisparks? (Not the waterpump and I NEVER power wash the motor .... don't run through high water) I am losing yet another. I am going MSD. My mechanic is checking the pigtail to the unit to see if it is defective. No codes!! Runs great until I stop and the motor dies:confused It will restart in neutral but as soon as it goes in gear .....dead?

My guess is stalling at idle, in this case, is not the distributor. While the MSD ABITS distributor is a good choice, I'd properly diagnose the problem before I'd spend a bunch of money on a new Opti.

Have you had this on a diagnostic machine at a chevy dealer? The reason Im asking is my optispark went bad twice but the third time it was the computer sending intermitting bad signals to the injectors. Same symptoms as the optispark. Ended up the ecm was bad

Check the electrical connection too the opti. When my opti legitimately went bad the mechanic I took it to put ion three opti's in thinking they were all bad until he discovered the green corrosion on the connectors to the wire plug to the opti cleaned it up and by golly the opti worked just fine.

optispark update

:;shrugThe issue with my opti may have been resolved. Nearly a quart of water in the gas tank!!!!!!! Either bad gas or with all the rain, seepage around gas fill. All the symptoms of the opti going south!!!

I am glad to see you have your problem resolved!

Another optispark distributor which could have been badly maligned. The criticism of optis is amazing to me. Glad to see you have saved one!

AFTER CRITICIZING AN OPTI, BE SURE TO SAVE THE :w!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom