Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Orange Peel

The offer seems fair.. I know which option I'd choose.:thumb

Amazing thread, my '09 CGM Z-06 has perfect paint, and 1630 miles. How could Chevy let PPG screw up so badly on the paint. This is the flagship car, now I've got to stop and look at the '14 parked around the corner at my work here in Tulsa.

Of course the C6 Z06's have had a dropped valve issue in a small number of cars; so it seems that Corvette management reels down the road from issue to issue. To ensure no dropped valve costs LS7 owners about $3500.00..which I intend to spend; as I got the ar at $52K with 750 miles...

I don't know if a low mileage late model C6 Z06 or ZR1 is an option for you, but the paint is stellar, and the LS7 valve guide inspection is 100% from the middle of the '11 year on.

Last edited:
GM buys it back and lays it out on someone else, without fixing the problem, is the way I see this playing out.

I don't know.........it's a tough decision.

GM buys it back and lays it out on someone else, without fixing the problem, is the way I see this playing out.

I don't know.........it's a tough decision.

GM will take it back to a clearing house, and may, or may not, work on the paint. What's important is that the next buyer will most certainly have an opportunity to see the car, and make a judgement. That's what I10 didn't get to do. I could see a lot of guys overlooking orange peel to get immediate possession of a Stingray. I wouldn't, but some would.

In the meantime, Bowling Green needs to get its' act together. The plant manager and chief assembly engineer should be ashamed - or fired.

My buddy had his black C7 completely wrapped in clear. It did help it a lot - and the car is clear protected. :w

My buddy had his black C7 completely wrapped in clear. It did help it a lot - and the car is clear protected. :w

You have to be careful, I had my front clip, my doors and all edges where rocks/pebbles can intersect the paint wrapped with the premium Expel film, and have had zero issues. The surface of the '09 CGM looks perfect (no orange peel), and the film covered paint matches that same perfectly flat/glossy finish >really outstanding.

I was talking with another c6 owner at work, now we're both going to have t cruise dealerships looking more more FUBAR Vette corner panels..hopefully no one gets an entire care like this.

My initial reaction was "Why?" but then I thought about it... black Stingray... yup, makes sense!

Mac

I'm really disappointed to hear about all the orange peel (sp) and will definitely hold off on a C7 till the issue is fixed or just keep checking dealer lots till I find one with acceptable paint.
On the large Corvette Forum there is a guy here who went on and talked clearly and with experience on this situation. Many basically blew him off. Many drones there that will take any crap
that comes there way if it says C7. Truly amazing to read.

I agree. :thumb

I tried to speak to the issue over there and got told I was crazy to keep a "hosed LS7" on my low milage '09 Z06 (1600 miles) ovr spending 1K sanding a car??

No way would I spend the bucks on a new C7 unless it had perfect paint on my pre-purchase inspection. And absolutely no way I'd sand a new car out..that is Chevy's job before you buy.

Too many drones talking slap not fact.

We know how much pride the workers at the plant have, especially those at the end of the line. Terrible paint is certainly noticed by final inspection, and SOMEONE gives the order to ship it anyway. Someone doesn't care if crappy cars are shipped, and the buck stops at the plant manager's office. I doubt he knows what's going on in the paint shops.

We know how much pride the workers at the plant have, especially those at the end of the line. Terrible paint is certainly noticed by final inspection, and SOMEONE gives the order to ship it anyway. Someone doesn't care if crappy cars are shipped, and the buck stops at the plant manager's office. I doubt he knows what's going on in the paint shops.

I suggested that to GM! I give them the car back and they make the plant manager drive it so he can show everyone what a great job they did on this one. They didn't think that was funny...........No! I serious ;LOL

I traded in my 2013 427 Convertible and am waiting till March to take delivery of a Red Convertible C7.
If the paint is not good I will not accept the car. Period.
They will then have a car to sell to someone else. :w

He should! If he doesn't know what is going on in the paint shop (or any part of the assembly line for that matter) with a brand new model that is just now being sold to the public, then a new manager is definitely in order. Shipping vehicles to paying customers in this condition is inexcusable.

not alone

I checked out the paint on a blue Stingray at the NHRA finals, in tented GM display, on Thursday. It, too, was rather orange peely.

A good paint man and some detailers can color sand then polish it away, but obviously there is less clear remaining, unless it is reshot, with possible value impact. I've also seen how difficult it is to shoot perfect water-based paint. By now, that process should be universally perfected at the manufacturers level.
I understand the pressure to get the cars delivered, but thought GM had learned the lesson of quality first. :w

I have decided to let GM buy back the car and start over, which sucks because I am the only one losing here. Perhaps some consideration will be given on purchasing a different car :ugh

And it's not just GM and the Corvettes. My then new Dodge and my wife's new Acura both have it.

you can thank the EPA for it restriction on emissions from paint booths for your orange peel

GM will take it back to a clearing house, and may, or may not, work on the paint. What's important is that the next buyer will most certainly have an opportunity to see the car, and make a judgement. That's what I10 didn't get to do. I could see a lot of guys overlooking orange peel to get immediate possession of a Stingray. I wouldn't, but some would.

In the meantime, Bowling Green needs to get its' act together. The plant manager and chief assembly engineer should be ashamed - or fired.

it will go a GM dealer only auction with a statement of the reason for the buy back. post the VIN here so no one else gets the car.

you can thank the EPA for it restriction on emissions from paint booths for your orange peel

The Corvette came with orange peel as standard equipment before the EPA even addressed paint booth emissions.

MacMulkin has a bunch of C7's on the floor........maybe you could work something out with them......it would interesting to see if the cars they have are orange peeled........maybe give them a call just on that to see what they say........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom