Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Original Distributor?

captin george

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Coupe
I've owned my 1970 305/350 for about a year now, I was going to give it a tune up, when I opened the distributer to change the points, there were none. Just a small black box where the points would be.
Does anyone know if this is an after market electronic ignition?, or I had heard something about a "transistorized ignition".
The car is all #'s matching, so I'm wondering if it's original.

captin george said:
I've owned my 1970 305/350 for about a year now, I was going to give it a tune up, when I opened the distributer to change the points, there were none. Just a small black box where the points would be.
Does anyone know if this is an after market electronic ignition?, or I had heard something about a "transistorized ignition".
The car is all #'s matching, so I'm wondering if it's original.
sounds like aftermarket to me.

Its probably a PERTRONIX ignition system installed in the original distirbutor. It eliminates the points with an HEI systemutilizing the stock dist, and cap to appear original. I have an original DUAL point ditributo in mine and while it runs like a baboon with its a$$ on fire I am considering going over to that system just to "fine tune" my horse maker.....

Rob

Thanks guys, I didn't think there was electronic ignition in 1970, but with oplder cars you never know what kind of options were available.

If it has only ONE small wire coming out of distributor ... and that wire goes directly to coil ... it is probably an aftermarket ignition known as "Breakerless SE" ... if so, it's a good piece.
JACK:gap

waterboy1976 said:
Its probably a PERTRONIX ignition system installed in the original distributor. It eliminates the points with an HEI systemutilizing the stock dist, and cap to appear original. I have an original DUAL point ditributo in mine and while it runs like a baboon with its a$$ on fire I am considering going over to that system just to "fine tune" my horse maker.....

Rob

Sorry to be picky, but a pertronix unit is NOT an 'HEI' unit. It's a simple (and unfortunately very unreliable) electronic switch which still depends on a good ol' fashioned coil to fire a plug. Big difference.

waterboy1976 said:
I have an original DUAL point ditributo in mine and while it runs like a baboon with its a$$ on fire I am considering going over to that system just to "fine tune" my horse maker.....

Rob

The last Corvette with a dual-point distributor was 1962; all used a single-point distributor (or T.I. on K66 cars) with vacuum advance from 1963 until HEI showed up in 1975.
:beer

JohnZ said:
The last Corvette with a dual-point distributor was 1962; all used a single-point distributor (or T.I. on K66 cars) with vacuum advance from 1963 until HEI showed up in 1975.
:beer

I know...I have a dual point mech advance distributor on mine.......it definitely NOT a stock piece, but it sure does run nice......

Vettehead Mikey said:
Sorry to be picky, but a pertronix unit is NOT an 'HEI' unit. It's a simple (and unfortunately very unreliable) electronic switch which still depends on a good ol' fashioned coil to fire a plug. Big difference.

whoops....I did write HEI in there didnt I......err.....my bad......:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom