Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ouch ! I scraped a tree !! How bad is this ??

Allthumbs

Corvette
1981 white coupe
I accidentally scraped a tree at the end of the driveway..

How bad is this going to be to repair ?

Anyone have any thoughts or expereinces ?..

I am sick about this btw.. Ugh !

Apparently my pic is too large to post.. but it is the front driver side wheel well.. It is scraped.. and also cracked straight through on one spot and partially on the other spot.. not dented but cracked....but otherwise intact...:eek

Tom

Sorry to hear about your accident! We have a lot of '81 owners here and I'm sure they'll chime in with sympathies and suggestions.

In the meantime, if you'd like to try resizing your photos to post check out this thread: Click me

Good luck!
:wJane Ann

wheel well crack

Hi Allthumbs, its fairly easy to repair, ill give you a few ideas on how to do it but im not very good at putting it in print. first thing you do is take,a few photos of the crack and damage outside and inside. well. You purchase a fibre glass repair kit. these are available from either auto paint suppliers or marine suppliers, the kit contains small amount of resin and hardiner and tin of thinners for cleanup,approx only require small 200 or 300 mls, and a few small strips of dynal fibreglass cloth enough to cover by 2 to 3 inches over and around the crack small 1 inch paint brush, leave the top or outside, untill the end. first remove wheel, prep the inside around crack by sanding approx 60 to 80 wight paper, clean with thinners, cut cloth to approx 2 inches over around crack, mix resin hardner, paint the cloth on with brush use plenty to cover well, it will touch harden in approx 1 to 2 hours, leave approx 12 to 24 hours full cure, sand again untill roughly smooth, then you can brush more resin on or evan another layer of cloth if you want extra strong job. then the top surface is ready for the normal finishing in the normal way, sanding, filling,preping, painting,etc, the photo is evidence to show later if ever you sell to the buyer that the crack was not a major accident, but if you do a excellent job it will not show. hope this helps. Wayne.

Allthumbs,

Fibreglass is surprisingly easy to deal with......and forgiving. If you don't get it perfect right the first time, you just keep working it.

If this was relatively easy....

Fender-cutoff-dr-rear1-500.jpg

Fender-test-fit-dr-rear1-500.jpg

FinishingPutty-dr-rear4-500.jpg

fenders-rear5-500.jpg

29cnkgn.jpg

....your damage should be an easy fix.

Good luck. :w

I feel bad for you and your beautiful 1981.
If you do not feel comfortable repairing your car, then take it to an auto body shop may cost around $1,200.00. I'm sure they would do a fine job on matching up the paint also.

Tell us how you make out either way.

:)

Thanks guys !

I will take my time on it and get some estimates.. I am allthumbs.. so .. well you know ?

Tom:)

67 Heaven !

You and your pics are like a giant Advil !:boogie

Thanks Man ! My damage is so small now !

How did you do all of that ? Okay.. not how.. Wow !

Tom

Your stock panels are SMC. You must use SMC compatible materials to make your repairs.

:)
Yep,Regular Polyester resins will not stick to SMC!!!

:upthumbs

Here is a pic of the damage !

This is what it looks like...

Tom

EDIT: Tom... I hope you don't mind but I'm including the photo attachment itself into your post... It's easier to see the damage in the larger picture.
And BTW... I'm glad it's not worse and you're getting some good news. :) -Jane Ann

attachment.php

First thing chop the tree down. I would say at least 800.00 depending where you live

UGH!!! Sorry about your vette!!!!
I would be sick for about a week!!!!

but then to the body shop it will go!!!!:upthumbs:upthumbs

Thanks guys !

I still havent had a chance to get some estimates yet for the repair. I will keep you posted though.. that tree is another thing btw !

Tom:w

I am or have been contemplating selling my car.. as I just went through a divorce and have a bunch of kids at home ? Not sure what to do with that financially ?

You guys here are pretty much on it .. estimates for repair run from $600 to $1000.00 depending on which shop I talk to.. and I have been to 4.

Thanks again for your input btw.

Tom

Repair the car and then decide what you want to do regarding selling it. If you need the money then you don't have much choice as family should come first.

If you can get by without selling it don't sell. Think of it as your therapy. If you sell it you will probably not replace it until the kids are grown and out of the house. Depending on their ages and circumstances that could be 20 years down the road. The money that you could get for the car would not make a real difference in you life but the car could make the journey more enjoyable.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom