Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Overheating problem C6, pls help !!

Alex_Mx

Corvette
C6 2007 atomic orange
Hi all, i have a weird problem in my 2007 corvette c6 , this issue is just new, never happened before, appeared 30 days ago, while i´m driving, only sometimes, not always, with the a/c on the temperature starts going up, when i turn the a/c off the temp goes down, 10 days ago without the a/c on the temp started going up, i pulled over, turned off the car, then after 1 min i turned it on and the temp marker started to go down ... so i dont understand this .. i want to drive to another city and i just dont feel comfortable anymore.. what if in the middle of the trip the temp goes up ? i cant take that risk, i alrdy checked all the fuses and they are ok.
Sometimes when i go to buy something at the drugstore or something to eat, it takes me like 5 mins to go , buy the thing and then go back to my car, i have seen after i turn on the car the temp is up, from the middle to right like 1/4 and then i hear the fan working, then slowly the marker starts going down untill stays in the middle ..
i dont have any coolant or water leaks, nor oil leaks neither.
I alrdy took it with an electrician and he just said he doesnt know what it is, pls help !!

Hi all, i have a weird problem in my 2007 corvette c6 , this issue is just new, never happened before, appeared 30 days ago, while i´m driving, only sometimes, not always, with the a/c on the temperature starts going up, when i turn the a/c off the temp goes down, 10 days ago without the a/c on the temp started going up, i pulled over, turned off the car, then after 1 min i turned it on and the temp marker started to go down ... so i dont understand this .. i want to drive to another city and i just dont feel comfortable anymore.. what if in the middle of the trip the temp goes up ? i cant take that risk, i alrdy checked all the fuses and they are ok.
Sometimes when i go to buy something at the drugstore or something to eat, it takes me like 5 mins to go , buy the thing and then go back to my car, i have seen after i turn on the car the temp is up, from the middle to right like 1/4 and then i hear the fan working, then slowly the marker starts going down untill stays in the middle ..
i dont have any coolant or water leaks, nor oil leaks neither.
I alrdy took it with an electrician and he just said he doesnt know what it is, pls help !!

What coolant temp's are given on your gauge and DIC display when it overheats?

Has coolant ever boiled over in the engine compartment?

What coolant temp's are given on your gauge and DIC display when it overheats?

Has coolant ever boiled over in the engine compartment?

The gauge from the temp, goes from the middle 1/4 to the right, and no, never boiled over in the engine comparment

The gauge from the temp, goes from the middle 1/4 to the right, and no, never boiled over in the engine comparment

Check the temp numbers on the gauge and the DIC display (which is more accurate the analogue gauge) when it happens again. These engines are designed to run in the 200-230*F range. The fans come on at about 220-230*F (or with high a/c pressures if it is being used, and auto temp control does use the a/c at times even at warm/hot settings on the control panel ), and your thermostat is fully open at about 190-195*F. If the temps are going above 240*F, then I would be checking for debris in the radiator and a/c condenser as a lot of road debris passes over them. Depending on the ambient temps, what you are experiencing may be normal. Good luck with it. :)

Check the temp numbers on the gauge and the DIC display (which is more accurate the analogue gauge) when it happens again. These engines are designed to run in the 200-230*F range. The fans come on at about 220-230*F (or with high a/c pressures if it is being used, and auto temp control does use the a/c at times even at warm/hot settings on the control panel ), and your thermostat is fully open at about 190-195*F. If the temps are going above 240*F, then I would be checking for debris in the radiator and a/c condenser as a lot of road debris passes over them. Depending on the ambient temps, what you are experiencing may be normal. Good luck with it. :)

i will check that also , appreciated

When say it overheats, its when the little stick moves to the right passing the 220 line .. that´s what has being happening ..

I'd check easy stuff first. Look for debris in the air intake under the bumper, and the operation of the thermostat.

When say it overheats, its when the little stick moves to the right passing the 220 line .. that´s what has being happening ..

That can still be fine, 220-230*F is normal. My radiator fans come on at 228*F exactly, yours may be a couple of degrees different. :)

That can still be fine, 220-230*F is normal. My radiator fans come on at 228*F exactly, yours may be a couple of degrees different. :)
For a C5 or C6 that would be completely Normal!:thumb

With the A/C on the fans should run all the time I believe........The DIC is the Driver Information Center on the guage cluster where your odometer reading is.....set it on engine temp and compare what it is telling you to what the guage is saying......as LLC5 says the two don't always match up. When its hot out and my car is idleing a lot the temps can run up a bit but if the fans are functioning it should not get to hot especially with the A/C on.

i alrdy took the car to the dealer today (sorry for the late post ) and one of the mechanics got the computer into my C6, after the readings and some tests it appeared to be the thermostat, i am going to order it and hopefully the problem will be solved ! also the guy told me i need to clean my Throttle Body because i had another minor issue, sometimes while breaking and going thru a bump my car will accelerate a lil bit by itself and then go normal, so this was another thing i didnt liked so i had it checked so tomorrow i will be cleaning my Throttle Body, i will let you guys know how everything went !! Thanks for the support, i will keep you guys posted

Cleaning the throttle body is easy, but only use throttle body cleaner, not carb or f.i. cleaner. The solvents in the other cleaners are said to be corrosive. CRC makes TB cleaner. All in all, it could be a cheap fix, and you certainly don't need the dealer's hourly rate cleaning.

BTW - throttle body cleaning is some dealers method to extract a little extra from your wallet before leaving the house....not all, but some.

Last edited:
"Cleaning the throttle body is easy, but only use throttle body cleaner, not carb or f.i. cleaner. The solvents in the other cleaners are said to be corrosive. CRC makes TB cleaner. All in all, it could be a cheap fix, and you certainly don't need the dealer's hourly rate cleaning.

BTW - throttle body cleaning is some dealers method to extract a little extra from your wallet before leaving the house....not all, but some."

I am still waiting for the dealer to NOT recommend something, whenever I visit one.

FWIW I figure the OP's stat is probably fine too. Probably got a newspaper or leaves sucked up between rad & condenser and then got overly sensitized to the temps. Get a flashight & put it on ramps & CLEAN IT OUT.

:)

Where I park my c5z in the garage there is always a neat little pile of stuff that drops to the floor when I shut off the car. I have a screen mod that I made myself (comes off for track days). Search my YT channel if interested, click below.

i just bought my brand new thermostat, from 140 dlls to 44 dlls, a friend that works at the dealer got me a discount, going to install it right now !!
i´m excited, also the throttle body its about the get cleaned up !! wish me luck guys

i just bought my brand new thermostat, from 140 dlls to 44 dlls, a friend that works at the dealer got me a discount, going to install it right now !!
i´m excited, also the throttle body its about the get cleaned up !! wish me luck guys

Please verify how many degrees the stat is set at b4 you install, it's on the stat & maybe the box.

:)

Also the degrees on the one you take out.

Hi everybody, alrdy removed the old thermostat and installed the new one, this was the overheating problem, here in mexico, sonora state , border state with arizona, the weather is very hot,
so it seems the thermostat lost the durability and it was starting to stick while working, finally thank god i found the problem ! i just traveled to a near city close from where i live 3 hours away
with my new thermostat and no problems at all ! problem solved, also got my c6 injectors cleaned up ! with new rear brakes plus turned discs !! we are back on track gentlemens , thanks
to the people who try to help me with this issue, i´ll post pics of my vette soon ! thanks again

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom