Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Overheating & Rattle

KP99

Corvette
2012 SuperSonic Blue GS
94 Coupe

1. What is the best thing to do to keep from overheating
(225-235) in traffic?

2. What could cause a "rattle" like sound coming from the
hatch when you hit a bump or make a turn?

KP94 said:
94 Coupe

1. What is the best thing to do to keep from overheating
(225-235) in traffic?

2. What could cause a "rattle" like sound coming from the
hatch when you hit a bump or make a turn?

1) Make your fan(s) come on earlier.
2) You have something loose.

By the way...welcome to the CAC. You will love it here.
--Drew:w

earlier fan

I think with yours you can reprogram the chip to make the fan come on earlier. For additional info goto the hypertech website. The power programmer might be able to improve your performance and lower your temps. Good luck.

Hey Ive always wondered this..If you have a cooling system that uses conventional coolant can you switch it to DEXCOOL? Ive heard its better.!

Yes

Mine has it, but you have to make absolutely sure NOT to mix the two types of coolant. A THOUROUGH flush is necessary to get all of the old green stuff out before you put any DEXCOOL in. Once you have purged the system, go for it, it lasts a lot longer and is a pretty red color.:D

Does it cool better? Here Dex is like 7 bucks a liter (Super expensive) but if its WAY better for cooling Id convert for sure!

Dex cool doesn't mix with water does it? Some people run waterless coolant in their engine, and while some work better than traditional water/antifreeze.......you are bending yourself over if you ever have an emergency. I like the fact that, at any time I want, I can always pull into a gas station or anyplace with water and give my system a refill if it needs it. You'd be hard pressed to find spare waterless coolant in an emergency.

Welllll......

I can assure you that dexcool does mix with water. Same as normal antifreeze you have to mix it 50/50 to get the most out of it. I changed my fan switch and lost some coolant recently and when I went to bowling green it was running a little hotter than norman. I checked the res and it was low (duh) so I just added water. No problem. I tested the solution when I got home and it was still within a good range.

As far as being a better coolant, I don't know. I do know that it lasts longer.

you folks need to read the other posts....was a good one on the difference between the green and orange. General opinion was to stay green. See summer cooling...

Hey back to that rattle, check your spare tire carrier. I was chasing 2 rattles in my 93, one was a loose rear control rod mounting bracket bolt and the other I thought for sure was coming from the rear hatch lock, but after going over the back from top to bottom could not find it. I had checked the spare many times but only by making sure that it was secure at the bolt, then again out of frustration I again started to search. This time I pushed up on the back of the carrier and it had about an inch of play for it to flop around. It is held in back by two threaded rod type holders that hang off a crossmember. Make sure that there is a piece of foam glued to the crossmember that the tire butts up to to keep it secure. You can take tire and carrier off car and adjust up threaded rods to get a snug fit. I hope that could be your rattle, now all I have left to find and fix is a rattle that intermittantly comes from under the glovebox, and a noisy vanity mirror/light on the drivers sunvisor.

I don't want to start any controversy and I'm the first to admit that 99% of you know far more about these cars than I do; but I've been fascinated by everybody turning on the A/C to cool the cars. I understand it makes the fan come on but it also creates a load on the engine. So, the question is, does the fan offset the heat generated by the A/C. I put in a 160 stat and had the chip reprogramed to start the fan sooner becuase I was running consantly above 230 and sometimes it would spike higher. I did an experiment driving home tonight with the A/C on, it's about 100 degrees here and the car was running at 220 combination of freeway, and expressway. I turned off the A/C and within a few miles it was 194 on expressway and city streets.

My $.02 is do whatever modification it takes to get the fan on early in your year car and turn off the A/C for a short time if it get really hot.

I would like to hear some other opinions.

Glad this thread found its way to the top!

Im planning my engine project and the stock rad is gone and a Be Cool will be installed. But I was looking the the engine bay today and was wondering about the dinky fan the things got. The local performace shop here has a drop in dual electric fan unit. Im wondering will these units drop into a C4? Or with my new engine would it beneficial to go with a off the water pump flex fan?

Exbanker....

I just posted the same thing on my post on the electric water pump. When the AC is on I shoot up to 230 water and 240 for the oil before I turn the AC off. Once off the temp drops on both.

From what I have been hearing both fans turn on to aid in droping the temp. ??? I have to check to see if both my fans turn on with the AC on. If they do.... :confused.

C4 cooling problems

1- Mid America sells a manual fan switch that allows you to switch one or both fans at will. Its cheap.
2- Check between the radiator and the air conditioner condenser which is located in front of your radiator. In my 87 coupe I found about a bucketful of leaves and other debris ( plastic grocery bag, a page from a local newspaper, etc.). It is cumbersome to do this since you have to remove the cover on top of both the radiator and condenser, remove the air cleaner assembly and the power steering fluid reservoir. Look in that space and see if there is a bunch of stuff clogging your radiator. Good luck.:duh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom