Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

overly loud exhaust possible solution

Highway Man

Corvette
1992 Black on Black Coupe
What got this started was the fact that last Christmas my wife got me (with some reluctance) a set of Magnaflow mufflers. After installing them and an x-pipe the car was decidedly louder especially going up hills. My wife hasn't been happy with this modification and after adding sound deadening material which helped some still hasn't got the noise level to where she enjoys riding in the car. Reading what others have done to alleviate the extra noise or resonance in their cars I came upon this idea. Motorcycle baffles. The Magnaflow mufflers have a dual two inch pipe running through them so I got a couple of two inch diameter motorcycle baffles and plugged one of the two inside pipes on each muffler this left me with the two outside pipes one on the left side and one on the right side of the car still open. I wrapped each baffle with aluminum tape and painted them with high heat paint so they wouldn't be seen once installed. I held them in place using a little JB weld on each baffle. After doing this mod I took the car for a test drive and it definitely made a difference but the car still has a nice rumble but it reduced the loudness of the car with the engine under a load. One thing neat about this mod is that a person can experiment with the baffles finding the sound that is right for you. By the way I like the Magnaflow mufflers and do not regret buying them. They look great on the car but are just a little louder than the wife likes them. I must add also that when driving I have a tendency to crank the music and with both the music and the car noise it was a little overwhelming I guess. Anyway I just thought I'd pass this on in case someone else was experiencing the same issues and was looking for a possible solution. Happy trails! :w

Did about the same thing with the '72. Always wanted N11 off road mufflers for the '64 but decided to keep it stock and put them on the '72. Way to loud.

Made a baffle from 70% open perforated sheet stock with a 4" long tail on it. Pushed it back close to the muffler opening and screwed the tail fast to the pipe. With only one outlet per muffler it cut out the drone and made it bearable to drive, plus it can still be removed.

We had a club member that would put a single cylinder engine muffler in the tips of his 454 so his wife would ride with him. Looked dorky but worked.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom