Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

paddle shifters

A

always corvette

I would like to know how corvette owners feel about the paddle shift transmission.esp if anyone has gone from six speed stick to the paddle shift

If their hard core manual guys, they prob dont like them very much. I've had both types and I like mine. My .02

I like the paddle shift in the wife's car, but I prefer driving the manual in mine.

Hecox

Guess I'm a hard core manual guy as I'd rather have the manual.

Wife likes it though and it is now her car.

I've got 15k+ on my 06 paddle shift car. My previous car was a 92 6-sp, my wife's previous car was an 03 6-sp, our 'family' car is a CTS-V 6-sp. Thought the paddle shift was a good idea but it turns out, for me, that the 'fun quotient' just isn't the same. I like stirring the gears when and how I want to.

The paddle shift has many advantages:
- it doesn't miss gears
- you will probably get better gas mileage.
- It works very good in snow and ice as you can paddle it to second or third for starting off.
- you don't need to mess with shifting for daily driving - talk on the phone, drink coffee, etc.

Some of the things I don't like:
- paddles are not much fun for daily driving - better for autocross or road courses
- can't skip any gears at all - you have to take them in sequence up and down
- On the 06 and 07, the delay between paddling and shifting is too long. For 08, this is supposed to be much quicker.

That's my report.

Guess I'm a hard core manual guy as I'd rather have the manual.

Wife likes it though and it is now her car.

I've got 15k+ on my 06 paddle shift car. My previous car was a 92 6-sp, my wife's previous car was an 03 6-sp, our 'family' car is a CTS-V 6-sp. Thought the paddle shift was a good idea but it turns out, for me, that the 'fun quotient' just isn't the same. I like stirring the gears when and how I want to.

The paddle shift has many advantages:
- it doesn't miss gears
- you will probably get better gas mileage.
- It works very good in snow and ice as you can paddle it to second or third for starting off.
- you don't need to mess with shifting for daily driving - talk on the phone, drink coffee, etc.

Some of the things I don't like:
- paddles are not much fun for daily driving - better for autocross or road courses
- can't skip any gears at all - you have to take them in sequence up and down
- On the 06 and 07, the delay between paddling and shifting is too long. For 08, this is supposed to be much quicker.

That's my report.

I came from a MustGT w/ 5 speed to C6 A6. While I agree with ALL of the above, the fact is that I hardly ever even use the paddle. And, when I do, I don't feel any similarity between it and a manuel. Totally different feel and driving experiences.

The 6L80 is designed to handle 670ft.lbs. of torque.
General information on this trans can be found at www.GMinfoNET under "Service & Body Training" It's document # 1701750

Tech guide is @ www.helminc.com

Some specs:
The trans is produced in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
Gear ratios are:
1st gear 4.027
2nd gear 2.364
3rd gear 1.532
4thgear 1.152
5thgear 0.852
6thgear 0.667
Reverse gear 3.064
Torque converter size: 258MM
Fluid type: DEXRON VI
Fluid capacity: 11.92L (12.6 QT.)
Case material: Die cast aluminum
Trans net weight: 103.7kg (228.6lb.)
These specs are for the Corvette (6CYA) only.
The Caddy's have different fluid caps and weigh less.

thanks for info about paddle shift

I appreciate the reponses , I am about to order an 08 vette. I have an 01 and am, trying to decide if I want paddle shift and/or magnetic riude control; opaddle shift and z51 or 6 speed manual and z51..I guess I will have to find an recent paddle shift to try...any other insights will be greatly appreciated

Next time around I'm doing an a6

I appreciate the reponses , I am about to order an 08 vette. I have an 01 and am, trying to decide if I want paddle shift and/or magnetic riude control; opaddle shift and z51 or 6 speed manual and z51..I guess I will have to find an recent paddle shift to try...any other insights will be greatly appreciated
Just for the record, I have NEVER regretted getting th A6 rather than the manual. And, I was hard-core manuel until the day before I bought it!! In fact, I'm happier about my decision as time goes by. I've had it since last August. 8300+ miles.

Just bought a 6-speed paddle shift for the wife. I like my 6-speed manual but I can see where I could get really used to the automatic especially when I don't want to shift (like in heavy traffic). Got the 3LT package, Mag Select Ride and Chrome Wheels, Machine Silver Exterior, two-tome seats in grey.

But I get to keep my 2001 6-speed :)

Don't necessarily gage your happiness of the paddle shift with an '07. The software for the A6 has been changed for the '08 and they have improved the speed of the shifts. If you like the current A6 you should really like the 2008 A6.

100_8102.jpg

100_8105.jpg

Don't necessarily gage your happiness of the paddle shift with an '07. The software for the A6 has been changed for the '08 and they have improved the speed of the shifts. If you like the current A6 you should really like the 2008 A6.

100_8102.jpg

100_8105.jpg

Thats some good informaiton. I'm going to have to try the new Z51 A6 as I hear its got the 2.73 rear instead of the 2.56 so thats got to be a nice jump on the new Automatic six speed.

I've had a 99C5 A4 and it was a great drag racer. I now have the M12 with 3.73's in my Z06 and its a blast..

That said ..next time I'm really looking at getting a Z51 A6 and the 430 /436 hp right out of the box is dam impressive too.

I don't understand why the magazines don't run a test on the new Z51 A6 vs M6 so we can literally see which one is faster on a road course.

I'd be curious to see if the A6 is actually the faster one around the track..

The sticking clutch pedal issue alone would be reason enough to go for the A6.

Yes as I change out the fluid every month in the master it minimizes any clutch pedal sticking nonsense but still its a reminder that technology has moved on and the A6 Z51 would be the way I'd go without a doubt on the next corvette I'd buy.

Shifting is fun but the 10% or so of owners that have pedal sticking issues if you do searches on the various forums is a pain and GM has no resolution for it.

Get the A6 Z51 over the A6 F55 or M6 Z51. Just my opinion and my next ones definitely going to be black with black interior!

Good luck

JB

thanks for your response. It seems that others also had hesitancy about having an automatic sports car/ corvette but using the 6 speed automatic has been a positive experience so I am going to go with the paddle shifters. I will get a spring delivery of the 08 , so hopefully any early bugs will be corrected , I store the vette over the new england winter anyway so waiting won't matter. Now I must decide to trade or keep my 01. ;shrug

Based on the '07 A6, I have several problems with the design.

1) You don't select gears- you request them. The hardware and software decide when you get them. We don't always agree.

2) On acceleration, the transmission runs through every gear all the time. With the immense torque of the engine, that's unnecessary and inefficient.

3) You either have fully automatic or no automatic. You either shift all the time or never. With a six-speed, that's tedious. I'd like to be able to modify the automatic's gear selection using the paddles without moving the transmission selector lever.

AFAIK, none of this changes for '08 address these issues, and how fast it shifts isn't important to me. As for the new rear end ratio, if they haven't also changed the top gearset to keep top gear highway rpm from increasing, that's not particularly helpful to me. It's just more gas.

Basically, the paddle shift exists because F1's sporting arm wanted to reduce the functions of the highly-automated cars that existed in the early 1990's. The intent was to put the drivers back into the equation, but the manufacturers objected, claiming their costs would increase dramatically due to engines blown from missed shifts, and the paddle shift compromise resulted.

CVT's were and are banned, and that's where the technology was really headed. The paddle-shift and the prior sequential shift are essentially side-effects.

When an automatic transmission can learn to drive/shift the way I want to drive (including skipping gears) or let me force shifts and skip gears, that's another matter.

When an automatic transmission can learn to drive/shift the way I want to drive (including skipping gears) or let me force shifts and skip gears, that's another matter.
The 6L80 does learn a driver's habits. It's called "adaptable." It will learn how hard/when to shift depending on the driver input. It takes about 25 heat cycles to accomplish this. (That's start, warm up, shut down, fully cool off cycles.) This mostly works against the driver that wants to drive more aggressively but on a more periodic basis. However, there are ways to "reset" the computer to the most aggressive settings. Your smiling Chevrolet dealer can do this for free. Just tell them it shifts "sluggish." Get back to us when you get your car back. Expect a little more "snap" with the car...;)

Had an 02 manual and traded for an 06 auto with paddles. Almost immediately decide the vette w/auto paddles was an entirely different driving experience. Not bad, but different. Traded the 06 auto for an 07 manual. When my left leg falls off I'll think about going back to an auto. Until then, the only vette for me is one with a manual.

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom