Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint color impact on value

Jabby

Corvette
1968 roadster
I recently acquired a Silverstone Silver 1968 roadster. It has both tops, a 327/350HP with a 4 speed. It also has power windows and PS. Beyond that, it does not have many options although I do have the tank sticker which is nice. Mostly it's original for example, it still has a Q-jet (not original though, 1970 'vette, I think) with most of the gas lines intact, but it has headers. It appears to have been taken off the road in the 1977-1978 time frame when it blew a head gasket with just under 66,000 miles. The motor and trans were re-worked by the previous owner and it was licensed during 2008-2010, although it was hardly driven.

That's what I know.

I have some decisions to make since it needs paint and body work. My question is on paint color. How much of a hit will I take in value if I don’t paint it the original color? I’d like to stick with a ‘vette color, perhaps one of the blue’s they offered on 1968. Any opinions?

Thanks

... My question is on paint color. How much of a hit will I take in value if I don’t paint it the original color? I’d like to stick with a ‘vette color, perhaps one of the blue’s they offered on 1968. Any opinions?...

At resale time, a nonstock color might have an impact on some potential buyers, and will mean absolutely nothing to others. It's your car; paint it the color you want.

That said, let me say Silverstone Silver is beautiful. My 68 convertible is Silverstone Silver with dark blue vinyl, so I am somewhat biased on the point.

Stock color codes for the original acrylic lacquer:
http://www.corvettepaintcodes.com/

Your paint dealer might be able to match the original codes.

:thumb

there are two types of vette buyers,
those that want a model that is in exactly the same condition as it sat in the show room and those that want a clean, well running car. color and stuff like matching numbers and such will mean the world to some people who are interested in things like resale. Then there will be people who dont care about stuff like that. They only want a nice looking well running car.

Chrome bumper cars are in general the only vetts that are holding their value .

My 69 was originally yellow ,second owner painted it blue ,third owner painted it blue w GS white stripes :D I stripped it completely and painted it GMC white ,tossed a Mcmasters built 350 in it and drove it 200,000 miles with no regrets.

I like blue :w

Original colors are good. BUT-- it's YOUR car, the only one it has to please is you.
You might lose a little bit if it's non-original color, but you'll probably pick up a little if the entire car is exceptionally slick and clean.

My 69 is red, was red originally, but it's not the same red it is now. If I decide to repaint it, it'll be red again, but probably not the same red it is now. Red cars are faster.

How much of a hit will I take in value if I don’t paint it the original color? I’d like to stick with a ‘vette color, perhaps one of the blue’s they offered on 1968. Any opinions?
Hey Jabby, welcome the CAC!

You talk about the value of your car. "Value" to whom? You or the next owner? Or are you talking insurance appraisal value?
As 6880 Mike said, there's a buyer for every car.
When you bought the car, you thought it was a good value for the condition it was in. Otherwise, you likely wouldn't have bought it.
Do you ever plan on selling the car? If not, then why care about the value other than what you've paid for it and what you'll eventually spend on it? (Which, by the way, will never increase the value equal to what you put in to it.)

My own philosophy has always been, "It's your money. It's your car. You should do whatever makes you happy!" Some people get their satisfaction/happiness from doing factory restorations. I'm not one of 'em.
My car is far from stock and I love it! Other than the body style, I hated the stock form. BLAH! And if I ever need to sell my car, I'm sure someone will buy it. It won't be a purist, it'll be someone else that thinks like me. Which, by the way, there's lots more of non-purists than purists. So no matter what you choose, should you ever plan on selling the car, you'll find a buyer for it at the price you're asking. (Assuming reasonable pricing expectations)

In the meantime, drive the hell out of the car and enjoy it!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom