Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Paint Protection Film

RVDECHI

Corvette
2005 C-6 Prestige Red Coupe
Has anybody used the Paint Protection Film on their Vette? I have some questions for you.
How does it look?
Is it easy to apply?
How long does it last?
Is it easy to get off?
Do you recommend it?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I had a clear bra and wheel area protection .It was a 3m product and is virtually invisible .It has not discolored in two years and 25,000 miles .When you wax it gets treated like the rest of the car.It's saved a lot of those unsightly chips and bugs just rinse off .

Mine was installed by GM Junkie in North Carolina .It's not a project that the average person would want to undertake .

I'd do it again . :D

Had no idea that you could leave it on there so long. Really know nothing about the product other than what is advertised, and I never trust a sales pitch, so your input is very helpfull.

Thanks for your reply,

As far as I know you can leave it on for years until there is discoloration or damage .My understanding is that a hair dryer can be used to remove it.

Mine was installed by GM Junkie in North Carolina .It's not a project that the average person would want to undertake .

I'd do it again . :D
Yours was the first I'd ever done,and if it wasn't you I'd probly have told a customer to "Go jump in the lake"!!:boogie

Yours took me about 6-7 hours just for the bumper,the rest wasn't so bad!I've had allot of experience Vinyl Tops,Wood Grain on Wagons,Big Birds on Trans Am's and other vinyl overlays,But the Clear Bra on a C6 is 1 of the hardest I've ever done,except for Graphics on Pepsi and Beer Trucks!! But with practice I've got it down to about 3 hours to do the bumper!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Yeah,I think there great,I even have one to put on my 03 Spiral Grey as soon as I can get time to touch up some chips!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

:D

Yeah, it sounds like one of those things I'd rather have some one else do. I'll do some checking around here and see what I come up with. When you hit bugs at Warp Speed they tend to leave a mark...

Thanks for your input,

I had mine done in NYC by a one-man company - cost about $1300 all in to get the front, engine cover and all side panels and roof panel done. It's hardly noticeable and does protect well against small chips and stones. Under certain strong light condtions or when the car is a bit dusty you can tell the difference from the non-covered sections, but that's the only time.
Only problem I had was when my driver's side door and rear panel were keyed by some jealous b*tard, all the side panel covering had to be removed for the paint-job to be done for a uniform finish. So it was an additional cost to get the protective layer reinstalled, plus the cost for the paint-job.
But after 3 years the protective finish still looks good.

Over the 4th of July we went on a trip to Northern Maine where we hit flocks ans swarms of bugs .We put about 1500 miles some of it at 80 plus mph .When we got home the car the front was yellow with bug guts .They all cleaned off with a normal single washing .No nicks or chips and I'm at 30,000 miles.

Has anybody used the Paint Protection Film on their Vette? I have some questions for you.
How does it look?
Is it easy to apply?
How long does it last?
Is it easy to get off?
Do you recommend it?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RVDECHI~
What you are asking about is "Clear Bra."
It is made by 2 companys. (3M and Cleartastic.)
The product from 3m is very good.

The only problem with clear bras is they have UV protection. The paint underneath the bra will not fade with exposure but the rest of the car will fade. Metallic blues are the worst for fading.

Since you're in San Diego, I know of a guy that's mobil and does C6's for about $550. (Hood, bumper, headlamps, mirror housings.) He'll also do sides where the wheels are upon request. He does good work. PM me if interested in his name/number.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom