Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Parasitic Draw test with multimeter

Banph

Corvette
2008 Z06
Let me first say, that electronics is not my expertise. I have a 2008 Z06 that I bought new. I routinely change the battery every 4 years with a new AC Delco just to ensure I have no problems. Last July I did that and 4 and 1/2 months later the battery went dead after 10 days of non use.
I bought the battery back to GM and they replaced it without an issue but said that I might have a draw on it. Since this is a brand new battery (one month old) I have been checking the voltage and after one day of sitting it read 12.56V. I checked my 2014 Cadillac SRX that is a year old and it read 12.62. So first question is this normal? I checked the battery with all electronics off. Second, I want to perform a Draw test but when I disconnect the negative post of the battery and put my Craftsman multimeter on 10 Amps and connect the circuit as described, is it normal to get a spark when I complete the circuit? Wasn't expecting it so I quickly stopped the test. Thanks

I know that I should be looking for a reading of .030Amps or lower to ensure there is no electronics drawing on my new battery.

Let me first say, that electronics is not my expertise. I have a 2008 Z06 that I bought new. I routinely change the battery every 4 years with a new AC Delco just to ensure I have no problems. Last July I did that and 4 and 1/2 months later the battery went dead after 10 days of non use.
I bought the battery back to GM and they replaced it without an issue but said that I might have a draw on it. Since this is a brand new battery (one month old) I have been checking the voltage and after one day of sitting it read 12.56V. I checked my 2014 Cadillac SRX that is a year old and it read 12.62. So first question is this normal? I checked the battery with all electronics off. Second, I want to perform a Draw test but when I disconnect the negative post of the battery and put my Craftsman multimeter on 10 Amps and connect the circuit as described, is it normal to get a spark when I complete the circuit? Wasn't expecting it so I quickly stopped the test. Thanks

I know that I should be looking for a reading of .030Amps or lower to ensure there is no electronics drawing on my new battery.

1) 12.56V is good.

2) This is normal. When you disconnected the battery the modules discharged a little, and when you connected the circuit again with the ammeter in series with the batter cable the capacitors will charge up again, thus the small spark. It can take 3-5 minutes for the modules to go into sleep mode, so leave your ammeter hooked up for a while to get an accurate reading. Good luck with it. :)

1) 12.56V is good.

2) This is normal. When you disconnected the battery the modules discharged a little, and when you connected the circuit again with the ammeter in series with the batter cable the capacitors will charge up again, thus the small spark. It can take 3-5 minutes for the modules to go into sleep mode, so leave your ammeter hooked up for a while to get an accurate reading. Good luck with it. :)

Thank you
Happy new year

Welcome to CAC, Banph. :w As you have already found, there are a lot of good people here who are more than willing to answer your questions. LLC5 is one of our very qualified member here in that respect. WE have quite a few more as well.

As for the draw, I keep a Battery Tender on mine when it is not going to be used for more than a few days as it will run the battery down, as would my C5 before my current C6.

Follow-up on your response

First thanks for the great input. I did what you said and the reading I got after 5 minutes was 0.01 on the multimeter set on the 10A and !0A Scale. I assume this is nothing or normal, which I hope indicates no real battery draw. Can you confirm?

Thanks Again
Ed

1) 12.56V is good.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom