Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Parking brake handle question

FFAST87

Corvette
1987 Black Coupe
I have recently had my 87 inspected...and doing so had the parking brake adjusted as it never worked. My question is...when I pull up the handle/pressing the button and engaging the parkling brake...does the handle stay up...or should it fall back down??? Seems to me it should so one can exit the car easily...Am I right or is something worn . The parking brake holds the car..... seems to work OK. Is this right???:confused

You should be able to pull-up on the brake handle to engage,and then the handle should go down. To disengage,pull the handle up to where you can depress the button and hold as you release the brake. It's what I do on my 91. :)

Dougs91 said:
You should be able to pull-up on the brake handle to engage,and then the handle should go down. To disengage,pull the handle up to where you can depress the button and hold as you release the brake. It's what I do on my 91. :)

Thats the same with my 90. When I first got my vette I was alittle confused on how the parking brake worked. My past experiences usually had the parking brake stay in the upright position, so this was a learning experience.

Oh Great, just want to thank you all for making me look like a moron !!! I have been operating under the impression that my E brake was busted or something....can't wait to get out there for a brake check....what a dope I am.

(of course, I have the original owners manual and a 2 volume shop manual.....but no, too busy to check that stuff)

I had a guy fail my inspection because the e-brake was "broken". had to show him how it works! :eyerole

This year they told me my headlight was out and they could fix it for me. I told them I do my own work and they pulled it around again and it magically started working again. Hmmm....
Chetzki

Ted Krempa said:
I have been operating under the impression that my E brake was busted or something....

Ted, I did the same thing. I drove a friend's '92 coupe a few times and thought his E-brake was broken because after I engaged it, the handle would just fall down. :confused When I bought my '96 CE a few months ago the seller enlightened me on the E-brake, and I think it's a neat feature that you can get it out of the way.

Barbie

On my 90 the handle does not fall down, I have to push it down. Maybe I should try to lube it so it would drop down on it's own.

Glenn
:w

i've learned this the hard way too .. the other thing i learned the hard way was that on my 85 you have to put the car in reverse before you can take your keys out of the ignition .. go figure .. 30 minutes of playing around before i figured that one out .. ;)

any one know how to adjust the switch on the ebrake .. when i dis-ingage my ebrake the light stays on???

The guy at the tire shop came and got me from the waiting area to show me how bad my rear brakes were dragging. He drove it in with the brake set and the light burning bright! I showed him how the handle worked and he was amazed, to say the least. :L

Can you imagine trying to get out of that car if the handle didn't go down? I can never find any change I drop as it just disappears.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom