Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

parking brake

baxsom

Corvette
72 454 convertible, 2000 C5 Z51
Will someone point me to a good how to on rebuilding the parking brake. I found a few out there but the pictures suck and reference parts that are not identified in the pictures.

Thanks,

Will someone point me to a good how to on rebuilding the parking brake. I found a few out there but the pictures suck and reference parts that are not identified in the pictures.

Thanks,

Try the Rowley Corvette website - they used to have an article posted on that subject.

:beer

I just did the P-brakes on my 71 and the diagram in the Factory Service Manual was adequate. It's a very simple drum brake and, once you get the axles out, it's an easy task to rebuild them.

It's getting the axles out that's the hard part.

Replacing them on the car with the axle flange in the way is a trick but it can be done except for the captured shoe hold down pin.

This may help

PBshoes.jpg

In addition to using the dental floss in the Rowley instructions to compress the springs I tied 10" of it to the pin head and a 12" fish wire (.035 Dia.) to thread it up through the backer plate threading it through the washers and springs. With the pin in the locking position it was easy to torch the floss off the spring locking everything in place. You can then burn off the floss tied to the head, the floss reacts quickly to heat.

This job can teach you how to swear if you forgot how. :mad

Yeah I saw that page, I really wish that they would have went that little extra step and made the pictures bigger. I hate using the service manual. It is written for an engineer sometimes it seems.

Parking Brake

As noted above, this job will definitely teach you how to cuss like a sailor ! I attempted this last year and only got one side done. I'm going to get to the other side as soonas it warms up around here. I used the dental floss / string trick as well and it was still a PITA.

Good Luck !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom