Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Passenger Airbag turnoff in 99 C5

J

Johnnykretentiv

I have seen there are some cutoff / toggle switch options of the passenger air bag in pre-01 C5s.

Can I pull a fuse to turn off the passenger airbag?

My little guy (4 years) loves cars and really wants to go for a drive with me. I have taken him for a drive around the subdivision but never took him on a real drive.

Any suggestions?

Did you check the glovebox? I believe there might be a shut off switch that uses your ignition key. I'm not sure I may be thinking about another C5 I've had.

I believe that a GM vendor *used* to sell a cutoff switch kit that used your ignition key, but had to stop due to liability issues. The passenger air bag cutoff switch was an option in later C5's, but was unavailable through at least the 99 model year. Sucks too, because I want to do a cutoff myself now that I found out my 1st is on the way.

How tall does a child have to be, or how much do they have to weigh before they can safely ride in the front seat of an airbag equipped car?

I'd love to take my 5 year old for a ride, but my 98 obviously doesn't have a shut off switch for the airbag either. He's pretty big for a 5 year old, he's about as tall as a 7 or 8 year old and weighs over 60lbs. So I'm hoping he'll be able to ride in the car in a couple of years (once he's over 80lbs perhaps?)

I believe that a GM vendor *used* to sell a cutoff switch kit that used your ignition key, but had to stop due to liability issues. The passenger air bag cutoff switch was an option in later C5's, but was unavailable through at least the 99 model year. Sucks too, because I want to do a cutoff myself now that I found out my 1st is on the way.
I think my 03' has it in the glovebox, not my 99'. There is also an airbag light near the active handling switch on the console now that I think about it.

What about a fuse? I see there is an airbag fuse in the box but I assume that cuts off both airbags. and probably something else like the starter or some other critical piece of hardware.

my 99 A4 has not cutoff switch for the pass airbag.

I sure wish there was an ez way to do this. My boy really wants to cruise with me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom