Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paxton Supercharger with Intercooler

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
I just got a connection through a friend of mine where I MAY be able to swing a "Horsetrade" deal for a 20 PSI Paxton Superchager with intercooler.

I guy told me I may have to re-enforce my frame as well as handling the electronics/computer stuff.

If anyone has any walk through theroys or experience with these please let me know

(Keep In mind I MAY be getting this with NO dollars exchanged)

Are my heads going to handle it?
Miniram required?
383 Stroker in the future but is is necessary right now.

Thanks All

i don't know much, but

i dont' think it matters

you sure that will fit in your car,,, you might not have the hood clearance,,

thats why ati makes one that fits where u don't have to cut into your hood

does intercooled mean it takes its own oil with out taping into your oil pan?

Big Red

you'll need to lower your compression around 7.5:1 you say your swapping in a 383 stroker? good motor! but you'll have to make sure you get some dished pistons and a very thick head gasket to lower your compression ratio. if you don't you will seriously damage your valvetrain and or the actual castings themselves.

hope this helps....

I would get the supercharger, and change the pulley for a lower boost... this will be the easiest way to give you big power... you need a pulley that will give you 6-8 psi... If you do some research, you will realize that a stock L98 handles 6-8 psi (8 psi if intercooled only) very well... going from even 8 to 10 psi gives little to no gain, but adds a ton of stress to the engine... If it were my car, I would probably buy a couple of pulleys, starting off with a 4-5 psi pulley... this will give you time to work everything out, while having the security of not blowing the engine from too much boost.

Also, is this supercharger made for a vette, or is it off another car?

Ok found out about this thing.

It came off a 96 Camaro with an LT1 which he also had a 383 Stroker kit done on. It is a intake manifold replacement piece (So I guess the minirams out)

Now the question is how does one put an LT1 intake manifold on a L98?

And yes shes 20 PSI and Intercooler kit is included. (So the 8-10 PSI thing is a go)

(Note: Damn I hope this trade works out!)

And he told me I may need to scoop out the hood or may not he wasn't sure but he did notice the fact my L98 Plenum is higher than his LT1's was. (When he did his Camaro he had to put a Very small hole in the hood then covered with a FG scoop)

But with my L98 size he couldn't tell me.

Hmm the plot thickens.. I just came from Paxtons website. They specialize in Ford and Chrysler products I did'nt see any GM products except the Denali.

Also I never saw a System that was an intake manifold they are all "Snail Shells"

Guess it could be good news considering I don't have to adapt intake manifolds.

I dunno any input would help!

I can't think of which paxton you are talking about... paxton does make products for GM... for some reason they have info about denali on the main page, but no more about GM anywhere else... they were actually one of the first to supercharge the L98... i wish i could imagine what kind of supercharger it is... does it look like a whipple charger? I don't think paxton has ever made a unit like that... is it some other brand that the guy thinks is a paxton? Anyway, if you can get this thing to work, you will be surprised at the power... even under minimal boost, the L98 really gets big horsepower increases.

LOL tell me about it, the guy has it at his "farm" so I haven't seen it. All I can tell from his desciption was..He HAD to go to the States to get it and its a intake manifold replacement piece (Which doesn't make sense from Paxtons website). He has it pulleyed to 20 PSI (Obviously I'll change that). And it was on a LT1 platform.

Oh well I'll just have to see if this pans out. Im hoping the ol man makes a horsetrade but nothings for sure. (Also my Dad is being a lil PITA, he heard me ranting and raving about this piece and is thinking of robbing me of it for that 32' Coupe I was talking about awhile ago ROFL Grr)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom