Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Perfect fix for loose and squeaky door panels.

Paul Higg

Corvette
2007 Monterey Red
Today I finally got fed up with the passenger door practically falling off and squeaking all the time. What I did was remove the panel and the weatherstrip and pop riveted three 5/8 strips of aluminum to the door panel. I made sure the rivet heads were under the weatherstrip, I didn't want the rivets hitting the glass. Now that the door was hanging on solid as a rock I took a can of the tool dip you can buy at Home Depot and used a brush and painted all the surfaces where there would be metal to fiberglass and door panel to door contact where it was squeaking. It is liquid rubber and dries quickly. So I put on three coats of this stuff. Then I put it all back together with new lower door panel fasteners and now it is perfect. I can't believe the difference. No more squeaks or panel so loose it is falling off.

I have photos if anyone is interested.

Paul

I’m sure there are plenty of people that would like to see the photos and a step-by-step write-up. If you could post them in this thread, that'd be great!

B17Crew
:w

Okay, I will but I have to go out now and it will take me a little bit to do it but I will be glad to do it.

Paul

1) Remove door panel.
2) Remove weather strip by bending up the tabs.
3) I bought some aluminum from Home Depot but all they had was 90 degree angled metal. So I used a die grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut off the thin part and kept the thicker piece, approx. 5/8 wide.
4) Hold door panel up to door and mark with a pencil on the door the locations of the fiberglass brackets on the door where the door panel hangs.
5) Cut the metal to the same lengths.
6) use a pair of needle nose vise grips to hold the metal flush with the bottom of the panel and drill two or three 1/8 holes in both the door panel and the aluminum.
7) Pop rivet 1/2 inch soft aluminum rivets through the door panel and the metal making sure the rivet heads are on the glass side; they will actually be compressed into the soft part of the door panel anyway.
8) Use the tool dip from Home Depot and paint a coat on every surface where the panel may even remotely squeak.
9) Paint the tool dip on the door. Make sure the tool dip is painted on the fiberglass brackets on the door and anywhere else the ABS plastic of the door panel might squeak.
10) Put on three coats. It takes about 20 minutes to dry between coats.
11) Put it all back together.
No more loose panel or squeaks.

DSCN2202.jpg

DSCN2203.jpg

DSCN2204.jpg

DSCN2205.jpg

DSCN2206.jpg

DSCN2207.jpg

DSCN2201.jpg

You will notice one oops. In one of the brackets I mistakenly covered the weatherstrip hole so I had to drill out the rivets and cut the metal then reinstall it. Also, the last photo should have been first.

But it works! No more squeaks. You can even close the door by holding the door panel if you want to.

Paul

Great write up, I’ve been in a few C4’s that could use this fix.

Did you notice if the interior door panel tabs become weakened from removal, or are they pretty robust?

Thanks for posting the photos!

B17Crew

They are very robust. I originally thought they were steel one time and used a pair of pliers to try to bend one but it wouldn't bend, that's when I thought, hmmm, this is fiberglass. So yes, they are solid.

Thanks, Paul!

I've never had a door panel apart before, but I know one day I’ll probably have to get in there to replace a window mechanism or motor... or something along that line. :ugh

B17Crew

Paul, good write-up with the pictures it was very understandable. Thanks:)

You're welcome fellas.

It was really quite easy B17. Pull down the light, unscrew two screws, remove all five plastic plugs on the bottom. Make SURE you remove the power door lock fuse as it will short to ground and burn the fuse. Gee, wonder how I know this? Then disconnect plugs and it's off. Reverse the process but make SURE the short screw is on top.

I drove it fifty miles today and it was silent as can be. So silent in fact that I heard OTHER squeaks from inside the car. Mostly plastic trim. Just add that to my endless to do list. But that's what makes restoring a Vette fun right?

Another thing that I've used to remove door panel squeaks is the sticky felt sold in craft stores. It's a sheet of felt with adhesive backing under a peel-off paper. Cut a small section and stick it where you think things are rubbing.
[RICHR]

That's a good idea too. I love all these good ideas.

I figured while I had the whole panel off why not coat it with rubber and keep the darned thing quiet.

I drove it fifty miles today and it was silent as can be. So silent in fact that I heard OTHER squeaks from inside the car.

:L

I think you’ll be able to chase the remaining squeaks down, you seem resourceful.

B17Crew

Thanks B17. It comes from working on aircraft for 25 years.

Paul

Thanks B17. It comes from working on aircraft for 25 years.

Paul

I have a friend that’s a helicopter mechanic in Pittsburgh, PA. There isn’t anything this guy can’t fix. You guys are lucky, working on aircraft is probably the best training one can have mechanically... and after 25 years under your belt, maintaining a Corvette will be a cakewalk. :D

B17Crew

Well, it's only a cakewalk thanks to the good people here.

I have tools to fix tools. I have years of wiring diagram troubleshooting, sheet metal, engines, landing gear, flight controls, all that good stuff experience. I have flown the big jets in the full motion sims, L-1011's, MD-11's, 767's, 757's, MD-90's, MD-88's, and on some pretty hairy test hops! And I used to fly hot air balloons. I have aviation in my blood. Plus I used to be a plumber, carpenter, furniture maker, electrician, and I sculpt. So whew, I have been blessed with having the ability to work with my hands. But ask me about medical or financial stuff and I am a babe in the woods. :L

What I enjoy most however is helping others. I will go way out of my way to help someone. That is where I get my most enjoyment and I never charge anyone anything. The only thing I ever ask is that they pray for me and my family, if they're the praying type that is.

Thanks for the kind words B17.

Well, it's only a cakewalk thanks to the good people here.

I have tools to fix tools. I have years of wiring diagram troubleshooting, sheet metal, engines, landing gear, flight controls, all that good stuff experience. I have flown the big jets in the full motion sims, L-1011's, MD-11's, 767's, 757's, MD-90's, MD-88's, and on some pretty hairy test hops! And I used to fly hot air balloons. I have aviation in my blood. Plus I used to be a plumber, carpenter, furniture maker, electrician, and I sculpt. So whew, I have been blessed with having the ability to work with my hands. But ask me about medical or financial stuff and I am a babe in the woods. :L

What I enjoy most however is helping others. I will go way out of my way to help someone. That is where I get my most enjoyment and I never charge anyone anything. The only thing I ever ask is that they pray for me and my family, if they're the praying type that is.

Thanks for the kind words B17.

That’s quite an impressive resume! I bet the sims were a lot of fun, I’ve ever only flown F-18 simulators on my computer :L (being a WWII aviation buff, I enjoy just about anything that has to do with aircraft).

I’m still learning as I go when it comes to any issues that arise with my ’96. I’m still adding tools to my collection, you can never have too many. So far, it’s been a very reliable Corvette for me, knock on wood. My next “to do” is new weatherstripping all around, not looking forward to that one.

And hey, a well said prayer is payment enough...

B17Crew

Amen brother!

Yeah, I want new weather stripping for the entire car AND a new windshield. Some knucklehead previous owner let the right windshield wiper leave a beautiful arc shaped scratch, more like a gouge on the windshield. It is annoying.

That’s quite an impressive resume! I bet the sims were a lot of fun, I’ve ever only flown F-18 simulators on my computer :L (being a WWII aviation buff, I enjoy just about anything that has to do with aircraft).

I’m still learning as I go when it comes to any issues that arise with my ’96. I’m still adding tools to my collection, you can never have too many. So far, it’s been a very reliable Corvette for me, knock on wood. My next “to do” is new weatherstripping all around, not looking forward to that one.

And hey, a well said prayer is payment enough...

B17Crew

I totally agree!

Well, us three have been blessed. God has been good to me and for that I appreciate it. I don't know how others in the forum may react to a little religious conversation but I for one am not ashamed to admit that God has been very good to me.

I also feel blessed to be part of this forum, there is so much experience here it is amazing. I really would have been lost if it wasn't for you guys. I just want to help pay back by offering any help I may have to offer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom