Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

performance chip

C

CSCARLSON

does anyone know where i can buy a performance chip for my "80 vette. i can find them for other years..also if anyone has bought one and installed it in their vette, let me know what you thought about the chip........

CSCARLSON,

Do yourself a favor and save your money, the aftermarket "chips" do not work. and usually cause more grief than good.

Dave

The reason you can't find a chip for your 80 is they don't have them.80 was the last pre computer year Vette.

CSCARLSON

Like vettasy said, your 80 doesn't have a computer. You should have a vacuum advance type HEI distributor. If you want to wake up some extra horses consider upgrading from factory ignition if it has not been done already. A performance coil such as an MSD, or Accel Super Coil, along with 8.5 mm spiral wound plug wires, a new high voltage capable dist cap and rotor, AC Rapid fire plugs or Bosch platnium will be well worth the investment.

Hot Rod ignition

Well ... when I first read this ... I didn't think an '80 had an ECU ... but I wasn't sure. And Dale's right on all counts. So ... I MAY be posting some great used, new & NOS aftermarket ignition stuff for Chevy V8 at this Friday Night CAC Swap Meet: POSSIBLY MSD 6 box-soft touch & Accel distributor(s) (maybe one w/ tach drive) & Accel spiral wires ... maybe more ... maybe not at all.
JACK:gap

ignition stuff

Jack...

e-mail me on a personnal and let me know what you have and what you might want for it...

Almost Right..

Guess what???

The 1980 Corvette DID HAVE A COMPUTER... Yep the 305's came with computer and NO test port. And yes it does control part of the Carb... :D

Maybe Chick can elaborate more, but the 1980 ~ 305 Cailfornia Corvette has a COMPUTER...

BudD

chip

I have a 350hp engine so, I presume mine maybe doesn't have a chip..who out there knows for sure?

To the best of my knowledge the 1980 LG4 had the computer the L48 and L82 did not...

BudD
:w

I'm assuming when you said your's was 350hp you ment 350ci. If so you don't have a chip. You will be able to tell for sure by the vin number. If it is a 350ci And the engine block is blue its the 190hp L-48 if the block is orange then its the 230hp L-82. That is if its the original engine.It's interesting that the 305 has a chip before this I didn't know that. Also I know the block colors hold true for 80 I'm not sure how this works for other years as my 72 SS Camaro has a L48 and the block on it is orange.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom