Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Performance chips

Corvette
1984 Silver coupe / 1989 Red Coupe
I just bought a 1984 with the stock crossfire injector system, Can a performance chip be installed without negative reaction? I have been advised not to do this.
Thanks
Silverstreak

From what I hear there is no gain on a stock engine.........and a highly modified engine will need a lot more in the way of tuning then just a chip....

I put a chip in my 84 XFire. I always thought it ran better, but I have absolutely no figures to back it up. I never heard of problems with them, as long as you stay with a name brand unit. There are phonies and hacked chips out there, so beware.

I agree with the posts above. :upthumbs

A generic, performance chip will be okay- you should see some incremental gains. But, on a stock motor... the original tune isn't too bad. Where you see the benefit in modifications is when they all work together- and a custom chip synchronizes those things. The chip helps get the calibration right across all the mods that an owner has done that take the car from stock. A stock chip is set for the original parameters (pre-mod) and not the new parameters (post-mods).

Try one out- see what you think. Let us know! :thumb

bought a 1984 with the stock crossfire injector system, Can a performance chip be installed without negative reaction? I have been advised not to do this.
Silverstreak
Probably good advice.

One issue with the X-fire design is smaller intake ports, which really limit airflow at higher RPM, but help te intake charge velocity for good low end torque. I tried a cam, coated headers and enlarged TBs plus a suitable altered chip, but the results were middling. Plus, the car ran quite rich even with the 'new' chip.

My understanding is that most aftermarket chips really only change the WOT settings, plus require premium gasoline due to increased advance ignition.

There is a small group who claims to have modified the Xfire manifold for better flow, but I have no experience there, and my search (many years ago) made it look futile.

WELCOME ABOARD. :w

custom chips

Thanks for your input, I think I will leave well enough alone.
Silverstreak

Ok, the pre-made ,aftermarket chips offer very little gain. To gain anything you will need a custom chip burned. Everyone knows a custom chip is a "real chip". You will always benefit over the stock tuning. They are tuned ok, but not optimal.

Last edited:
You will always benefit over the stock tuning.
But there is little to be gained on a stock engine relative to the cost of a custom tune
$$$ better spent elsewhere

But there is little to be gained on a stock engine relative to the cost of a custom tune
$$$ better spent elsewhere

I do actually agree with vetteoz here in terms of cost versus benefit. Yeah- it would be better- but better isn't cost effective really.

So as you know, JET will custom tune a chip for you at a cost of $400+. Or, you can buy a production chip from them for very little ($150 or less).

how does one go about getting a custom chip I live in the Austin area, but could travel to get the chip done for my 89

You can do custom, on-the-dyno chip burns or provide a custom tuning person/company/vendor/etc with your car's modifications and they will simply model them and create a chip calibrated for them.

I have personally used PCM for Less. Alvin has done a LOT of tunes for folks over the years on the CAC as well as other forums.

Hope that helps!:thumb

My experience is that these chips are a "racket" providing only illusory gains. There might be some 1-2 hp gains from turning the fans on a bit earlier if the chip controls the fan (don't know as far back as 85) but none of them seem to touch any of the major tuning tables.

Adding a chip

:upthumbs Guys I added a Jet chip with a 160 Therm. Bosh plugs Accell Ignition {complete,wires Dist,Supper Coil} 1985 fuelpump,K&N filter and Muffler Eliminators, and a shiftkit. My Crossfire ran like a deer. Lot more Tq and felt like more Hp never dyno ed but made a differance:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom