Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Performance Package Question??????

jazzlove said:
Thanks Wisdom,

I'm afraid the Z51 might just jar the fillings right out of my teeth, though I'm still toying with the idea.

Wayne
Unless the C6 Z51 is significantly stiffer than the C5's, it is nowhere near jarring. It is a little stiffer than than base suspension, but the handling is much better. It is a huge improvement on a C4 Z51 or C3 FE7 (had one of those in college, and it did ride like an empty pickup) Even my mother-in-law thinks my C5 Z51 rides good. And of course, on the C6, you will get all those other goodies, like M12 tranny, better brakes and tires, and drivetrain coolers. If I get a C6 for me, it will be a Z51, but if the wife gets her vert, it will probably be an F55. Anyway, any urban area has crappy roads once you get off the interstate, so we're all in the same boat there.

I have the Z51 and was apprehensive about it buying a vette with it. Was talked into it by my Salesperson. Now, I am really glad I got it. I have had a couple of friends with base coupes drive it and they now wish they had it. It actually gives a slightly better (controlled) ride over stock and is not harsh or jarring. But, you can really feel the extra grip in the turns. If you don't go with the F55, go with the Z51 over stock.:D

I do not feel that the Z51 suspension is really harsh. My 02 vert started life with the FE1 base suspension. I was not really happy with the body roll so I installed Z06 sway bars. This took care of the body roll but the car still felt floaty at high speeds. My 2nd round mods included Z51 springs, Bilstein Sport shocks and lowering approx 3/4", and Z06 chrome wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports. The car now handles like it is on rails. Drove approx 5,800 miles back to BG & Nashville for the 50th without any discomfort or complaints from the SO.

Thanks for the Input

Thanks for the recent comments on this thread about Z51 on rough roads. fdxpilot, I guess you must drive the roads around Memphis a lot, but live in Cordova....? I grew up in Memphis,... was there last week, some pretty rough roads around there... Right now my C6 order includes the F55 suspension. A tough decision, but I will be doing 90% of my driving over the washboard roads here in San Antonio (worse than Memphis). But the fact is, I'd really like to have the handling, tranny, brakes, etc., that come with Z51 cauz' we will take her out into hill country for a little exercise....

I would love to hear from other C5 Z51/Z06 owners on their experiences with driving their vettes over rough roads. I still have lots of time before my order is pulled for production. I wish I knew someone around San Antonio with a Z51/Z06 vette! Gotta check with our local club members...

Thanks for the info fdxpilot, 04cmnthru, and powderski13...

jazzlove:cool

Having driven an F55 equipped 03 for 19k+ now, I can say that I loved it from the first miles and still love it.

There was a test article in a magazine back in 2003 (can't remember which) that compared the Base, Z51, F55 and Z06 cars for performance. To equalize things, they used Z06 Super Car tires on all the cars. For track times and autocross times, the Z06 was still the best. The F55 on Sport and the Z51 cars were about on par with each other. The F55 on Tour and the Base cars were about even. The beauty of the F55 is that you can have it both ways but not quite to Z06 levels (close, but not quite there).

As for shocks, the F55 does have 'shocks'. They look like regular shocks and have all the same parts as reqular shocks with the exception of the electric coils around the orifice and the wires coming out of it. The electric current is changed on the coil creating different levels of electro-magnetic fields around the orifice which causes the oil in the shock to change viscosity. Works great. That ain't cheap to replace though.

Tuna said:
There was a test article in a magazine back in 2003 (can't remember which) that compared the Base, Z51, F55 and Z06 cars for performance. To equalize things, they used Z06 Super Car tires on all the cars. For track times and autocross times, the Z06 was still the best. The F55 on Sport and the Z51 cars were about on par with each other. The F55 on Tour and the Base cars were about even. The beauty of the F55 is that you can have it both ways but not quite to Z06 levels (close, but not quite there).
Tuna said:

Z51 - Not A Problem

The F55 was not available when I ordered my 2001 vert - so I went with the Z51 and the ride is comfortable under every condition. I've owned four new Corvettes over the years - starting with a 65/396 all of them with competitive suspensions options. By comparison the Z51 in a C5 is very forgiving - and a pleasure when bending the car through corners.

Remo:cool

Soon to be 98' Owner

Im deciding between to low mileage coupes, one has no performance handling upgrades and the other has all..to include Active handling,performance axel,Cont.Real Time Handling,...both seem to be well taken care of ,dealer maintained and I wonder if all the extra options may cause headaches that could be costly and I might do better with the "stripped Down" model. Anybody have insight to these options? Im very excited to get my C5, I've owned a 78' & 87" and im ready for the roominess of this style.

keeper15 said:
Im deciding between to low mileage coupes, one has no performance handling upgrades and the other has all..to include Active handling,performance axel,Cont.Real Time Handling,...both seem to be well taken care of ,dealer maintained and I wonder if all the extra options may cause headaches that could be costly and I might do better with the "stripped Down" model. Anybody have insight to these options? Im very excited to get my C5, I've owned a 78' & 87" and im ready for the roominess of this style.

I had to make the same choice. I went for the loaded one and am very happy I did. Active Handling has kept me out of the trees more than once. The HUD is great it is something I never would have considered important but with the performance of these C5s it's nice to not have to take my eyes off the road. The auto-dimming mirrors are another option I would have never ordered but they are amazing. They make dirving at night a pleasure. My C5 is a manual so it has a 3:42 rear. The bigger gears the better. IMHO With all the help availible on the Internet an with the popularity of the C5 fixing these options is not a big deal. A big plus too is reale value. The more options the better

I opted for the Z51 package, and the ride is very comfortable - the place I notice some harshness is on roads with bad expansion joints. Other than that, the ride's very nice and extremely responsive. One other thing to take into account is the resale value down the road. The Z51 will definitely help should you ever decide to sell or upgrade.

Thanks..Im opting for the loaded version and will keep my fingers crossed and a smile across my face each time I drive.thanks all

got it in the driveway and cant wait for the morning commute.....zoom zoom

I have the Z51 suspension in my 2002 Coupe and it is a very pleasant ride. The roads in Italy are awful and I thought it might be uncomfortable, but it's not. I am worried about future rattles and such as a result of the stiffer suspension, but at 19,000 miles, there are none except for the annoying rattle of the driver's side sun visor that I can't seem to get rid of since new. Anyway, I have a friend who has the select ride and he wishes he had gotten the Z51 since I whip his butt in the autocross. I couldn't live with a Vette that would be out cornered by lesser cars. Z51 all the way!

I have a Z71 w/BFG soft tires. My brother has a base suspension. Mine rides much better (tires?). My front end does not lift on take offs, his lifts quite high...

avacorvette said:
I have a Z71 w/BFG soft tires. My brother has a base suspension. Mine rides much better (tires?). My front end does not lift on take offs, his lifts quite high...

A Corvette with a Z71 conversion, uhm. This might be the answer for the Corvette guys that live in the snowbelt regions of the country.

Remo:cool

Wyodude said:
I have the Z51 suspension in my 2002 Coupe and it is a very pleasant ride. The roads in Italy are awful and I thought it might be uncomfortable, but it's not. I am worried about future rattles and such as a result of the stiffer suspension, but at 19,000 miles, there are none except for the annoying rattle of the driver's side sun visor that I can't seem to get rid of since new. Anyway, I have a friend who has the select ride and he wishes he had gotten the Z51 since I whip his butt in the autocross. I couldn't live with a Vette that would be out cornered by lesser cars. Z51 all the way!

Take about an inch long piece of black electrians's tape and wrap it tightly around the part of the sunvisor that slips into the clip........invisible and will stop the rattle. Dont' get too much on or it will be difficult to get in and out.........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom