Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Picked up a 1999 C5 Convertible this morning

ken90004

Corvette
1999 Convertible-blue on tan
Got my 1st Corvette, finally, and am very happy. And a little sunburn. Dropped the top and drove for 5 hours today, and my face and chest is red. Never thought I'd need suntan lotion to drive.

For a 16 year old car, it drives great.

Found a few small issues to start with. What is the best think for cleaning the top? I watched a YouTube video that says the top needs waterproofing a few times a year? What is best for this?

I also noticed the passenger window likes to roll up outside the top. You kind of have to guide it in place. Is that normal?

And my wife said the central console getting very warm. I figured this where the drive shift is at (I know it isn't exactly a drive shaft). So should that be getting warm?

Unless it's under 30 degrees out, I don't even have to run the heater in my 2004. It'll get plenty warm in the cabin. They make a tunnel insulation kit, but its pretty spendy.

I haven't had any issues with my windows rolling up on the outside of the top. It sounds like your window may need adjusted?

I use Ragg Topp on my C5. Once a year is all for me. I vacuum my top before I was the car, every time. The top needs to be COMPLETELY dry before treating with a waterproofing product.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your C5!

Unless it's under 30 degrees out, I don't even have to run the heater in my 2004. It'll get plenty warm in the cabin. They make a tunnel insulation kit, but its pretty spendy.

I haven't had any issues with my windows rolling up on the outside of the top. It sounds like your window may need adjusted?

I use Ragg Topp on my C5. Once a year is all for me. I vacuum my top before I was the car, every time. The top needs to be COMPLETELY dry before treating with a waterproofing product.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your C5!

Good to know the heated cabin is normal operation.

Never had to adjust a window in a car before. I'll have to take off the door panel and look into it.

Looked up Ragg Topp and sounds great. I'll check it out

Thanks for the advise. Very helpful.

As noted Ragg Top products only for the top in my opinion.

The window problem is not normal, there are numerous adjustments from window tip in to top adjustment that can make it better. You can probably google it and get videos.

Console heat is normal in C5, I just use the a/c when needed to help out a little. The torque tube and exhaust system run very close to the tunnel and transmit a lot of heat, as noted by BoDuke insulation will help but is a little pricey and time consuming

Enjoy your new ride, these are great cars. :)

Last edited:
I used Ragg Topp on my C4s and C6 and it is great. However, I tried C Magic convertible top treatment and found it to be superior. Kit comes with cleaner, waterproofing treatment and a soft brush to really clean the top. Got mine at the National Corvette Museum's store. Don't get me wrong, Ragg Topp is a great product and you can't go wrong with either, but the C7 soft brush designed for Corvette tops really does the job.

Barrett

Last edited:
I use RaggTTop on my black 04 vert and it has given great protection that I expected. But here is a hint. Once you get the top cleaned to the condition that you like, then get a top up cover for protection when the car sets outside. Ecklers sells one for about $190. My car has to sit outside 24/7 and my top looks brand new.

Hey Ken,

Here's a couple links for ya to check out. The first one is for Ragg Topp. This link is to the kit that I got. It comes with the brush, 2 microfiber towels, the spray bottle of soap, and the aerosol can of protectant. It's all in a nice little travel type case. You'll prolly get 4 uses out of the aerosol can.

This week during the Black Hills Corvette Rally, I'll be buying Kermits C-Magic kit and giving it a try. I do like the RaggTopp, but thought I'd try the C-magic just to see how it performs.

If you get the RaggTopp, be SURE to get the kit for your top, either fabric or vinyl. Your should have the fabric top. I got my RaggTopp from Auto Geek as well. It was the cheapest I found it online.

RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner & Protectant Kit

Next is the link to ZIP, who has the tunnel plate that I mentioned in my first response. Looking at it tonight, the price is considerably cheaper than it was 2 years ago, it was touch $500 when I first seen them. Granted $300 is still spendy, I have no idea how well they work, and if they are worth the $$. I thought I'd share the link anyway.

Hope you are enjoying your C5! CAC is a great source of information, and the members are always helpful. I did 99% of my research on CAC before I bought my C5. The site and members have done me an awesome job.

1997-2013 Corvette Thermal Abs Exhaust Tunnel Plate

Cheers! :beer

I used Ragg Topp on my C4s and C6 and it is great. However, I tried C Magic convertible top treatment and found it to be superior. Kit comes with cleaner, waterproofing treatment and a soft brush to really clean the top. Got mine at the National Corvette Museum's store. Don't get me wrong, Ragg Topp is a great product and you can't go wrong with either, but the C7 soft brush designed for Corvette tops really does the job.

Barrett

Agree! The C-Magic kit is the best out there. The brush is the key, just soft enough, and with round bristles that won't damage the fabric like most other brushes.

"Catbert" talks about C-Magic. I agree. The company's care care products are excellent. The company is owned by Corvette people. The NCM uses C-Magic products exclusively for Museum Delivery cars.

As for the insulating Close-Out Plate, the "Thermal Abs" product works quite well in reducing, but not eliminating, the problem with exhaust heat radiating into the interior. I installed on on my C6 and experienced a noticeable reduction in heat. You can get the Thermal Abs close-out plate from CAC sponsor, Zip Products.

Do yourself a favor and have your brakes flushed and, when you have that done also have the shop perform the ABS autobleed procedure. The reason clean brake fluid is such an issue with early C5s is that the EBTCM for those cars is discontinued by GM and they are not rebuildable so...if the EBTCM fails, your only choice is a functional used part, if you can find one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom