Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

(Picture Thread) Show your C4 to the world!

Oh man Jake, that just stinks. I hope you can find a replacement to satisfy the one you lost.

Nobody was hurt? I hope not.

Glad no one hurt. Looks like it happend right where it's parked? Hope you had some insurance to recover some of your loss.

How's this one for a real BEAUTY.

100_0550.jpg

Leaking gas line caused a fire on 10 Mar 08. Now, I'm back shopping for a replacement. :-( ;shrug

No one hurt, just my heart, On top of that it happened just after I spent a TON on the new 388 engine last year.

Jake

That sucks.

Did you have the engine done by a shop or did you do it yourself?

Jake, that is just plain horrible!

Glad to see no one was hurt.

SAVE THE :w

I live in Texas, but I built the engine while I was visiting up in Chicago last March, 2007. I bought the short block from CNC-Motorsports, the Bret Bauer ported AFR heads and ported LT1 intake from a Forum member (different Forum) who'd fallen on hard times. The rest of the parts came, mostly, from Summit.

I drove the car around the Chicago area from last March until last August, then the 1000 mile (or so) trip from Chicago back to Dallas,Texas. It's my daily driver, so I drove it in and around the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex everyday without a hitch. So I guess I'd put at least a couple of thousand miles on the new engine.

Engine always fired on the first turn of the key and ran without a single problem. Bryan at PCMFORLESS did the PCM tune for me.

Basically all I've done to the engine since the initial build was add a BBK 58 mm TB and had Bryan re-program the PCM to account for that mod. Swapping TBs and PCM didn't involve anything to do with the fuel lines, so I'm at a loss as to how one began leaking.

Here's how the fire went down:

Went out Monday afternoon to head to the grocery store. Climbed in and fired the engine. It felt a little rough on start-up (which it had never done before) so I blipped throttle a couple of times but didn't give more thought to it.

Put the trans in reverse to begin backing out and noticed wisp of smoke coming from the windshield wiper area. So, I shifted into Park, left the engine running and pulled the hood release lever. Not knowing what was about to happen.

I went outside and raised the good and BOOM! Flames shot up at least 10 feet.

A guy came by with a fire extinguisher but it didn't make a dint. Apparently the leaking line kept feeding the fire.

I called the FD but by the time they arrived, the fire had completely comsumed the engine, blew out the two front tires, exploded the windshield, ate the dash, seats, carpeting, door panels and had worked its all the way back to the hatch where it exploded the hatch glass.

As it was getting to the gas tank area, the FD arrived and shot it for 10 to 15 minutes before the fire was struck.

Two days later the fuel line was STILL LEAKING!

That's about it.

Jake

'Just bought this fully-loaded, highly original, '92 LT1 Coupe with about 53,000 miles on it last October and haven't really had a chance to drive it much yet as it's been hibernating all winter. Of course, I started off saying "I'm keeping it stock!" but I've already added ZR-1 style wheels and '96 front fenders (mainly because I wanted to preserve the perfect Sawtooth wheels and because I like the detail of the scallop on the '96 better than the '92's). I plan on tinting the windows, changing the exhaust and powdercoating my calipers but I don't think I'll be doing much more than that (so he says now!). Anyways, it's going to be a cruiser and will share summer duty with some of my other old cars. This is my first Vette and I'm loving it!

My 1996 LT4 Black on Black

Here is a pic of my 96 LT4 with my new Black ZR1 wheels.
Right11.JPG

Sweet ride....man Admiral Blue is a beautiful color. But then again so is a yellow vert. Wrenchman's red looks good too. Dang they are all sweet, how can anyone not like the C4's looks...no matter what color.

Nice C4s!! And welcome new members Capt. Mike and jdc.

Sweet rides!

Tom, I've always loved the lines of the C4. It's a beautiful Corvette! If I could afford 2, I'll still have my '94 as well.

:wJane Ann

Nice C4s!! And welcome new members Capt. Mike and jdc.

Sweet rides!

Tom, I've always loved the lines of the C4. It's a beautiful Corvette! If I could afford 2, I'll still have my '94 as well.

:wJane Ann

I agree whole-heartedly! Nothing tops the C4s.

Since my 96 burned in March, I've been in the market for a replacement and could buy ANY 'C' series. I won't buy anything other than another C4; it's the only series that floats my boat.

Jake

I agree whole-heartedly! Nothing tops the C4s.

Since my 96 burned in March, I've been in the market for a replacement and could buy ANY 'C' series. I won't buy anything other than another C4; it's the only series that floats my boat.

Jake
I totally agree, the styling of the C4 is one of the best in car design in recent years. I to will be buying another C4 soon. Ever since I first saw the concept back in 82, I knew I would get one someday. And I did 3 years ago now. And it's been a lot of fun driving, not one regret.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom