Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ping at Acceleration

SIXt7

Corvette
1967 Coupe
I have a very slight pinging under acceleration. To retard the timing, is distributor rotated counter clockwise or clockwise? 67 SB 327/350.

SIXt7 said:
I have a very slight pinging under acceleration. To retard the timing, is distributor rotated counter clockwise or clockwise? 67 SB 327/350.
By slight ping do you mean pulling away from every stop sign or do you have to really open the throttle in the higher gears to get it to knock?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean pinging is good but occasional is not that bad. What destroys engine parts is low to mid range engine speed and heavy load with constant knocking.

SIXt7 said:

Quick question what type of gas are you running? Make sure you have the highest octane you can buy at the pumps in it when your retarding the timing.

I have a 66 with a 427/425 in it and I am running a MSD dist with a msd box (untill I can afford to have my TI system rebuilt) anyways I reset the advance spring in the dist not to bring in total advance too fast and I also have a differant cam stop on it to lessen the total advance I am bringing in. with the car timing retarded it still plant you in your seat

Thanks for all the replys. Took it for a drive, adjusted distributor clockwise twice on the side of the road...no more ping. :upthumbs

Now would be a good time to check it with timing light and record the timing before the next tune up. (If you havn't already done so)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom