Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pits in clear coat

Corvette
2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertable
I have a 2000 Convertible, Dark Bowling Green Metalic. Lately, I have noticed pits from sand or small debree from the highway on the nose of the car. Is this something that can be polished or compounded out? Other than a cover for the nose, which I don't like, is there anything that can be done to keep it from getting worse? :ugh

They can be gotten out by a heavy compound, or depending how bad, wet sanding. It is a very intensive procedure that starts with a heavy grit compound and work your way down to non granular cleaner. If you are doing the nose of a vette I would do it by hand rather than a machine. It will take a great deal of elbow grease but the end effect will be worth it. You can also use a light comdound on the driving/fog lights too. It is important to be careful around the edges not to rub through. I would even elevate the front of the car so that I could get a better view of the work that I am doing. As for keeping it looking that is a catch 22. A bra will protect from road debris but might scratch and do other bad things to the paint. Good luck. Let me know if you need more details about chemicals to use, etc.

CP ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Right now I think it's just nicks in the clearcoat so a light compound might do the trick. I'll give that a try.

I notice that you have a 96 LT4 White convertible. I had one just like that (black top, black interior) before getting the 2000.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom