Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Planet 67 gets under way...

Are you going to lay your plumbing before you pour your footings? Thought I would mention it in case it slipped your mind, I know how it can go when a person gets in a hurry.

Glenn
:w

Thanks, Glenn, but plumbing is not permitted unless I go to great trouble and expense tying into the existing septic system.

I'll just have to be creative. :)

Ran the strings for the inside of the form.

15naek6.jpg

The forms are almost complete. All that's left to do is add some supporting stakes on the inside run and then call for inspection.

2agm0ex.jpg

:beer

Help me with my calculations, folks.

How many cubic yards of concrete? 36' x 36' (building) x 18" (footing width) x 6" (footing depth).

I figure 4 cubic yards. Is that correct?

There are easier formulas for figuring this but here goes.
Let's compare figures. 36x36 = 144 running ft. x 1.5 ft wide = 216 sq ft.
x .5 ft = 108 cubic ft divided by 27 cubic ft per yard = 4 cubic yards.

That doesn't give you anything to play with. Most suppliers will send out long.
Just be sure to tell them 4 yards is what the figures show. Maybe even give them the dimensions.

Glenn

Looks Good

Never be surprised at what you find when you dig, I'm not and trust me, you wouldn't believe what I find. In one of your pictures, I see a hand tamper? The plate with the long wooden handle you pound on the ground to compact the area to hold the concrete for the footings? Ever hear the routine about The 2000 year old man? (Carl Reiner & Mel Brookes) In your later pictures, I see a lot of loose sand as the footprints show. I'm going to suggest a jumping jack, they rent them cheap and there is no better compaction unit for my money. On all the "inspected" jobs we do, they're a must. You're formula for concrete is good but always allow for waste, etc. as said above, let the supplier know what you're pouring. Keep the pictures coming, I have an armchair:upthumbs:boogie

Good idea, Lou. They're cheap to rent and work wonders. Are you going to add some rebar, Bob? Great way to tie things together but I tend to over-engineer.

-Mac

Glenn,

Thanks for confirming my math.

I've wondered what those trucks do with the "extra" concrete when they've finished pouring. There it is, hardening inside the truck. Do they return to the yard and dump it somewhere? Also, what happens when a fully-loaded truck breaks down on the way to a job? They can't just let it sit while a mechanic gets the truck going again. :W

Lou,

Yep, when I saw what happened to the sand from walking on it, I realized that a power tamper was going to be necessary. I'll use it the day before I pour. Now, the hand tamper will be used for snuffing out butts when my smoking friends drop by. :D

Mac,

I hadn't planned on rebar until I discovered all that sand. I plan on discussing it with the inspector before he arrives.

I'm afraid to look in the hole today. We had all the rain missing from Atlanta roll through here last night. :ugh

I've wondered what those trucks do with the "extra" concrete when they've finished pouring. There it is, hardening inside the truck. Do they return to the yard and dump it somewhere? Also, what happens when a fully-loaded truck breaks down on the way to a job? They can't just let it sit while a mechanic gets the truck going again. :W

Looks good Bob.. And to stop you from wondering and get you back to working: :L

http://www.concrete.com/JCS/index.htm

(You outta watch more Discovery Channel, MythBusters and Dirty Jobs).. :D

Cant wait to see it coming up.. :upthumbs
-Stefan

Thanks, Stefan. That's an interesting read, but I still want to know what they do with a full load that breaks down on the way to the pour. Do they pump it out into another vehicle? Pump it out on the highway? Pump it into a ditch? :rotfl

Thanks, Stefan. That's an interesting read, but I still want to know what they do with a full load that breaks down on the way to the pour. Do they pump it out into another vehicle? Pump it out on the highway? Pump it into a ditch? :rotfl

They transfer it into another truck.

They used to just dump it on the road but...

When they were putting the driveway in our new house back in 99, the concrete truck (with a full load) slipped off in the soft dirt. They had to use a BobCat to take out about half the load. They used that on our back patio. Then two wreckers triangulated cables to trees to right the concrete truck. It took several hours and they said that the remaining batch of concrete was ruined.
Months later a few of the trees that had the cables on them died from the damage done to them.

When I poured the pad at the back of our current house back in 2004, the driver backed the truck in an inch at a time. Although my back yard looked solid, he wasn't taking any chances. Apparently, the week before, he needed the "Mother of All Towtrucks" (as he called it) to pull him out when his rear duals sunk to the axles with a full load. Luckily, no such problem at my place.

As far as the rebar, like I said, I over-engineer everything but nothing I've built has ever fallen down. Sand makes for nice drainage but it doesn't compact well.

-Mac

So, the nice "Inspector" man just left. I mentioned the rebar issue to him, Mac, in light of the sand. He smiled and said, "Hand me that sledge and a stake".

He made three test holes along the forms and damn near broke the stakes trying to pound them all the way in.

"See", he said, "I knew the sand ended less than a foot below. It's packed clay just below. You don't need rebar. Do it if you want, but it's not required."

He used the computer in his truck to run off a form, signed it and handed it to me. I've got a "Footings Inspection Approval" in my hands. :D I'm to call him back when the roof is on and the doors and windows are in, but prior to any interior finishing.

I'll see if I can round up enough volunteers to do the pour on Saturday morning. Yeehaw! :bang :_rock

Congrats on passing the inspection.

Please keep the photos coming as you go. I'm always interested in construction techniques outside of California.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom