Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please Help Me with This??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank, I believe he said the car *is* in the US. He bought it, sight unseen, after having it checked over by a friend - and it sounds like he knew the former owner as well.

Simple thing to do - contact the dealer it was sold through, since you have the original sticker. They will have records. Also, you can order a build sheet replica from the National Corvette Museum for about $15. Might be worth doing - with a VIN supposedly from a 95 and option codes that appear on a 96 only (IL5, Z16 - these *only* appeared on 96 Vettes) maybe someone there could also shed light on it.
[RICHR]

GS

Also we all know GM did not put 3.45 rearend gears with an auto I dont even think you could special order it ,this was 6 speed only gear. Take the oil fill cap off peek inside see if you see aluminum roller rockers a indicator of a LT4 but not proof untill you decode engine casting #.

Well, Z51's required the performance axle ratio, which meant RPO G92 on an automatic. However, my book doesn't say what the ratio for G92 actually is - just "performance axle, merchandising option" so it very well could be the GM3 3.45.
[RICHR]

Any way you look at it the car is not original and does not sound right or even legal for that matter.

Define "legal"... If it doesn't have the original engine and smog setup for its year, then it's not California emissions legal, but he's not in CA. Is it road-worthy? Sounds like it. In most states, that's all that matters.

I still want to know where the VIN number came from and what the engine number is.
[RICHR]

I have an Idea! Anyone heard of a Chop Shop!

This car sounds like a Dark Purple Metallic with LT1 with Auto

Then the car was magicly cloned into the Grand Sport LT4 with proper VIN

Lol this is cool! if this is a 100% Perfect Production Model I think you have something rare indeed!

BTW Grats on the New VETTE!

I read the post here. I know sometihing isn't right. The milage from car fax is 54,460. When I bought the car and locked it up, it has 34,673. Thats almost 20,000 over. The car from car fax is in states that the car has never been in.

My friend met this girl 4 months ago. She bought this car from a dealer for $33,900. That is true because it is on the bank loan. She had the car for 3 years. 1999-2002 The bank loan, that she still owed was $14,000, pay off at $11,400. That is what I bought it for in cash. She just couldn't afford the $1000 a month bank loan and insurance payments and wanted out from the car nothing more. I felt it was a good deal for a beautiful car. My friend said it was the bomb, and I have known hin for over 20 years, Army buddies. I trust him like my brother. When he says the car is nice and no problems he means it.

I am the one who started checking on the VIN and options being so curious to what I have bought. The seller new nothing, just a regular woman with a vette that she bought from a dealer.

For the past 3 years she even has maintenace records and kept all services. Really babied this car. It isn't like she new anything about this car, just wanted out from the payments.

I will be talking to my friend later in the day to e-mail me some more documents, check the VIN again for the 4th time. Check under the oil cap to see if it is aluminium. See if he can get the engine serial number and transmission number.

I really believe this is NOT the same VIN number car that was in the Car Fax I did yesterday. Yet it has that number.

Does CarFax show her as the last owner, with the proper date of transfer?

BigRed, I hear what you're saying, but the VIN still doesn't add up, even from a chopshop. A 95 build letter with 96-only options, PLUS the codes for an auto *and* a stick? Plus LT1 engine plus GS package?

Here's my final guess. The original owner did a custom order and had connections (dealer?). Specified the auto so he could have an auto transmission, but had to specify manual to get the LT4 engine which was manual-only. He did this prior to the start of the 96 build year so that GM could honestly say that no 96 LT4 had auto. Yes, it's far-fetched, but odder things have happened (such as 50 cars being painted for a specific dealer - Malcolm somebody or another, or Corvette Challenge engines still being in a CC car when GM sold it to the public).

What I think you need to do is have your friend drive it up here to me so I can check it out personally :) .

[RICHR]

rrubel

Car Fax shows she was never the owner.

From 1995 to 2000 this car Vin was titled in Ohio, From Mar 2000 on it has been in Michigan. Seems like it is always offered for sale.

I know for a fact that this car I has not been registered in either of those states since 1999. Same owner until now.

Seems to me that VIN number car is the hot car the way it looks.

The car that I have as far as the girl knows only has two owners, the original and her.

The RPO codes came right off the car. My friend wrote them down one by one. He dosn't even know what they stand. I did not know it had two transmision codes until a poster pointed it out to me.

Did you check the vin number on the drivers door and match it to the dash vin ?? Also if you pull the seat belt all the way out it will have a date tag on it. This might not help much as a 96 can have a 95 tag but nothing else. If it says 94 it would either be a 94 or 95 but not a 96.

From what I read here, I can't see why this is not
a 1995 LT1 car with some add-ons. That's the most
simple explanation. Although the
1996 only RPO numbers make no sense. Neither
does a 6 speed call out. Car fax probably has mistakes.

How do you know it's an LT4? I had roller-rockers
put on my car, that's an easy change. Spark plugs
and wires are easy, too. If LT4 has a red intake
manifold, that might sway me--but look yourself,
dealers are not diligent. Also, is it possible to
lift a number off the cam? LT4 cam and heads
are the real differences. And what rims are on the car?
Black 5 spoke?

Maybe a seller at one point dressed this car up
for performance and decided to hood-wink a
dealer/buyer and say it's a 1996. Title could
be wrong this way.

If vin says it's a 1995, there's only 2 possibilities:
It is a 1995, or somebody put another vin on it.
Where are all the places on the car you can lift
the vin from? Check all and see if they argree.
BTW, my car has a sticker on the door that says
month/year, what does the car say?

RichR, my car was made in 10/92, 4069 I think out
of 21000 or so. But vin is 1993. So I think production
is from maybe August to June or so. If vin says 1995
it is a 1995 (or somebody messed with the vin).

Sothpaw and all others

Please go to the LT4 under GS Mystery Car Revealed, there is a post on page 6 by me that everyone should read.

For your informations the VIN was checked on the Door, Window, and RPO info. All the VINS match Up

This car has the same rims as the black ones on Grand SPort except they are Silver like the CE. Same tires as Grand Sport.

It does have the red intake, plugs, and everything to make it look like the LT4. Exactly. Checked by one person and says it is a LT4.

I will in the future be checking all the things listed by members. Even what you said, and I thank you for your input.

What blows my mind is if someone wanted to change this car over, change VINS, have RPO codes with 2 transmissions, auto and manual, why didn't they just put the LT4 engine code? Why did they not put a T for 96 instead of putting a S for 95 when no 95's had the Grans Sport option on them. Why not put a 6 for the grand sport at the end number. Why waste anyones time trying to fool anyone? Yet have it for sale at a Chevorlet Corvette Dealership.? Listed as a 96 and all the RPO codes of a GS?????

Please go to LT4 Forum for final remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom