Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

please tell me I didn't ruin my expensive chrome bumpers

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
hi

in preperation to my car getting reassembled soon after the new paint job, I pulled some of the chrome parts in from the garage where they have been sitting and getting dusty all winter - chrome bumpers and SS trim moldings, emblems, etc with the plan to clean and polish everything up.

Well, I just finished one of the chrome bumpers and now i'm a bit upset. After cleaning it and using 3M Chrome & Metal polish on it it is filled with swirl marks like you see in paint (one of the main reasons i'll never own another black car - the swirl marks drove me crazy!)
These are all new bumpers - all were replaced with GM restoration units when the car had it's body-off restoration just before I bought it last year and the front ones were replaced agained with GM restoration units after an idiot backed up in the front of the car last April. They don't have a single scratch or nick on them and shine up perfectly, but now I have swirl marks on the one I already polished. Did I already ruin it or can it be saved?
I don't want to touch any of the other pieces until I can figure out how to avoid the swirl marks.
I bought new SS windshield and rear window moldings also so sure don't want to touch those and screw them up - luckily they are still wrapped in the plastic so I'm leaving them alone, but i'm still concerned about this bumper and how to best clean and polish the other chrome pieces without damaging the surface. With what these bumpers cost to replace I can't take any chances!

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the swirl marks on the bumper I already did and how to avoid the same problem on the others?

Thanks for your help!

Careful with that

Barry, you mentioned the product ( 3M Chrome & Metal polish ) but not what was used to polish them with.

Was it paper towels, supposedly scratch less pads, contaminated rag, or something else. ?

I have had a lot of success with a cleaning product that is sold by " Turtle-Wax " as a bug and tar remover. It can be used on all metal, polished, or plated, and any painted surface. After many years of continual use, it has never damaged any surface it has been used on. It's also surprising the amount of surface crud , and imperfections it will remove. There are most certainly other manufacturers, but this product has always worked very well for me.

Bob

Bob

I used a soft clean terrycloth towel to apply the 3M polish - just like it says on the directions.
I even used a very soft, 100% cotton rag (an old undershirt) to do the final wipedown and bring the shine up the best.

It cleaned the bumper great - the only issue I have is the swirl marks I ended up with!

Barry,

Did you hose them down first to get the dust off?

Tom M

Sting Ray said:
Barry,

Did you hose them down first to get the dust off?

Tom M

This was going to be my question. Barry sorry for this problem.

Can you post a picture?

you may be able to find a local polisher to see if he can clean it up. but the 3m material I know of is not that agressive to actually scratch the chrome. it had to be a dirty bumper,dirty rag,getting some type of a contaminit into the material.

Did you try to put a high quaility paste wax on it to remove the swirls

Good luck sir

I would wash them with a good car wash and warm water. Hand dry them and them start again with a good medal polish. If you use small circles when polishing you should get no marks. I hope things work out for you. I am sure you did nothing that is not easily fixable. oWEN

Barry,

Try Flitz polish. I have had great luck with this product. Polish parallel to the bumper and not in circles. I'll bet the swirls will come out.

Ian

ok, everyone seems to be saying the same thing so I'll answer all at once.

I didn't hose it down before polishing, but I did gently wipe all the dust off before the polishing so that I wasn't rubbing the dirt into the chrome. I suppose it's possible that without hosing it off there was still dirt there afterall. :(

I didn't try wax on it yet because I was too afraid of doing anything else to them until I heard back from you guys although my plan was to polish them up and them apply a good coat of wax.
i'll try hosing them all off first now, repolishing the one I already worked on to see if I can correct the problem, than waxing it.
I just didn't want to do ANYTHING else after I saw the swirl marks until I got more info from you guys.

Vintage, yes, when I polished it I did it in small circles - i'm guessing that's why the swirl marks appeared actually.

Barry best thing to wax with is a soft,clean rubber aplicator (real cheap at any store less then a dollar you normally get these with a new tub of wax) and then cheese cloth also removes the wax real well

I use special towels for my cars they were High end bath towels and I had them cut and the edges bonded for sure youll need to invest in a good set of towels for the car.

Larry

I have a lot of the applicator pads in foam and in terry cloth that I use when waxing - don't know why I didn't use them when polishing the bumper but I just grabbed a few other clean rags. I also have a bunch of those mirofiber cloths as they are my favorite when I'm quick detailing the car.
I'm always very, very careful when cleaning and waxing the paint of the car itself, but honestly never figured the chrome was this delicate.

Most metal polish is slightly abrasive. You should only use paint polish on chrome. Toothpaste mixed with a little water should clean up your swirls.

thanks Ken, I'll give it a try since the wax didn't take the swirls away

BarryK said:
thanks Ken, I'll give it a try since the wax didn't take the swirls away
Barry, please keep us/me updated. Same thing happened to my bumpers, and if there's anything out there that'll take the swirls out, I'd like to know about it.
I get my car back (out of winter storage) next Thursday!
Thanks,

-Johh

I'd stay away from any polish that is mildly abrasive. Not sure about the 3M but I've heard that Flitz is mildly abrasive and is good for cleaning nasty, dull, or corroded chrome but not good for cleaning show chrome. A good wax or sealant will take care of the chrome for a long time - then all you need is a dust towel or quick detailer and you're good to go.

Brian

The name of the game with chrome (which is the top, clear layer, only about .0015" thick, which protects the nickel underneath that gives the bright color), is to use "polish" ONCE to get a good surface, then put several coats of WAX (not "polish") on it, and keep renewing the WAX regularly. Every time you use any kind of "polish", "chrome cleaner", or any other product with mild abrasives in it, it removes a little more of the protective chrome layer, and eventually will expose the nickel underneath it, which then is exposed and will dull out and begin to pit and corrode. I haven't used any "polish" on my chrome for years, but I use LOTS of WAX on it, especially after washing the car.
:beer

JohnZ said:
The name of the game with chrome (which is the top, clear layer, only about .0015" thick, which protects the nickel underneath that gives the bright color), is to use "polish" ONCE to get a good surface, then put several coats of WAX (not "polish") on it, and keep renewing the WAX regularly. Every time you use any kind of "polish", "chrome cleaner", or any other product with mild abrasives in it, it removes a little more of the protective chrome layer, and eventually will expose the nickel underneath it, which then is exposed and will dull out and begin to pit and corrode. I haven't used any "polish" on my chrome for years, but I use LOTS of WAX on it, especially after washing the car.
:beer

well geez, I guess I really screwed up here than! :hb
as alway's I have to learn the hard and expensive way which is AFTER I do the wrong thing.
The 3M chrome & Metal polish is going into the trash and if I can't get the swirl marks out i'll just have to live with it for this year until either I can get it professionally polished to remove them or until I can afford to buy a new bumper again :(
As for the other bumpers and trim pieces, I'll follow your advice John and just clean them and hit them with wax and be done with it.

BarryK said:
well geez, I guess I really screwed up here than! :hb
as alway's I have to learn the hard and expensive way which is AFTER I do the wrong thing.

Barry,

Look at it this way. You're really earning your stripes and it won't be long before you're handing out advice like an old-timer. :beer

Better days ahead.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom