Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pop the trunk

fyrfly

Corvette
2003 z06
Finally with the help of all of you I bought an 03 Z06 Black on black with a lot of extras. I noticed when I pop the trunk lid no matter which button is used it only opens about a quarter inch and has to coaxed up with my nails which are manfully short. Is this normal as the car only has 16k on it?

Finally with the help of all of you I bought an 03 Z06 Black on black with a lot of extras. I noticed when I pop the trunk lid no matter which button is used it only opens about a quarter inch and has to coaxed up with my nails which are manfully short. Is this normal as the car only has 16k on it?

From reading older CAC threads, that's pretty normal, mine does the same thing.

Congrats on the 03!

:w
Guy

I think it is normal, although I think there may be an adjustment for it. I'm just lazy- so I open and close one of the doors. The air pressure pops it open enough to get my manfully short fingernails under it ;).

Tammy

1/4 of an inch is normal, some folks think that it opens several inches. While this would be more convenient it's not very common at all.

If you have the need to raise it up a bit higher, with the windows up all the way, hit the lid release, open the door then shut it. This creates positive pressure in the passengers compartment and will push the lid a bit higher.

There is an adjustment that can be done to help resolve that. Now I just have to find that write up on it. I need to adjust mine also. The door trick doesn't work so well when the top is down. :L

Congrats on your purchase. 1/4" above the surface of your rear fascia is normal.

I've also read that a little fresh lube on the hinges works wonders although I haven't tried it yet. :)

POP

Well thanks for all the replies. I tried them all and I am still pondering a better conclusion. If I come up with something I'll post it.:w

I was just browsing my GM service CD and found this:

Subject: Deck Lid Does Not Rise Enough High Enough When Releasing - keywords body door electrical entry failure information inoperative intermittent keyless lock operation panel performance power rear release #PIC3902 - (02/03/2006)

Models: 1998-2004 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
When releasing the rear decklid, it may be noted that the decklid does not raise enough to raise the decklid. This may be due to a spring loaded arm that is not aligned with the striker. There is a tension springed arm that is designed to pop/push up the rear lid when released. This spring should contact the bottom of the u-shaped striker when trunk is closed. When this condition occurs, the spring may be riding up on the side of the striker. The problem is that the spring, (part of the latch) that pops the trunk open may have come out of position and rather then hitting the horizontal part of the striker (the part that is mounted on the underside of the trunk lid) it is contacting the vertical portion of the striker. There may even be a witness mark on the underside of the striker and/or lid

Recommendation/Instructions:
To correct this concern, the striker that mounts to the underside of the deck lid may need to be repositioned approximately 3mm to allow the latch a more direct contact with the horizontal portion of the striker. This may require slotting the holes in the striker in order to move it far enough to correct the problem.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Thanks MsSchroder. I will give this a try. I did see that someone is sellng a striker lift kit. But I am stubborn and since it has been raining here almost daily I have not played with the car lately.

Here is a trick that was shown to me and works everytime.
With the truck lid open (had to start this way), push the spring forward with a thumb (left or right) with about as much force as is comfortable to you. Next time the trunk is opened, it will pop up enough to get a finger in there.
You may have to repeat this every 10th time or so, but it is quick and cheap.

I think it is normal, although I think there may be an adjustment for it. I'm just lazy- so I open and close one of the doors. The air pressure pops it open enough to get my manfully short fingernails under it ;).

Tammy
Manfully?? What are you saying MsSchroder?? :D

The problem is that the part of the latch assembly that releases the U shaped hook doesn't retract as quickly as it should. Especially when it gets cold. Remedy is to lubricate both sides of the latch that catches the trunk lid's hook. I used a spray lithium grease into the latch assembly. Works like a charm. Others have tried this and everyone that has tried it says it worked for them.

Pop the Trunk

On the 2003 Z the factory only installed a trunk hinge on the driver's side. There were (are) so many complaints that GM issued a TSB to add the right side latch for customers who complained of this problem. I had that done, but every now and then the trunk doesn't fully pop up. Hope this helps.

Manfully?? What are you saying MsSchroder?? :D

Maybe Tammy has started on some winter med's and changes are happening. Who knows? I do not believe we really have to worry until when she walks her knuckles are dragging the ground.

We might need to coax her off the med's then. ;) :rotfl

Fyrfly;
I had the same problem with my '04 seems to be a common one, but I've got the fix. It's simple, it's easy and took about 20 minutes, just did it to mine today. Now my trunk pops up about 1 inch, it use to be just like yours about 1/4 inch. Check out the following link for step by step instructions;

http://64.209.142.240/faq/trunklid.htm

hope this helps

Ron:w

Fyrfly;
I had the same problem with my '04 seems to be a common one, but I've got the fix. It's simple, it's easy and took about 20 minutes, just did it to mine today. Now my trunk pops up about 1 inch, it use to be just like yours about 1/4 inch. Check out the following link for step by step instructions;

http://64.209.142.240/faq/trunklid.htm

hope this helps

Ron:w
Thanks Ron. We won't have to open and slam our doors anymore hehe.

I had the problem. I applied a bit of WD- 40 to the lock mech. & it worked for me. I think it lets the lock device release quicker letting the deck lid pop up faster . :beer

Same problem here. I got fed up & built this :

TrunkSpring-1.jpg

Available here : www.C5TrunkPopper.com

I got tired of opening & closing the door, adjusting latches, strikers, lubing hinges, nothing seemed to work. A little spring fixed it, now pops up an inch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom