Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Popular Mechanics Gets the Hard Facts on Chevy’s Supercharged ‘Vette

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1

With all the rumors swirling around Chevy's new supercharged Corvette,
Popular Mechanics' legendary Detroit editor Jim Dunne decided to get
some hard answers straight from the horse's mouth. After consulting
the largest Corvette dealership in Michigan, Dunne is back with some
surprising responses. For instance, we have a feeling that a lot of
Corvette drivers are going to have itchy left feet when they find out
that the blistering supercharged version of the car will only be
offered as an automatic.

DETROIT — Rumors abound on details of the new, hyper-speed Corvette, so it’s time for a reality check. Here’s what we hear from the largest Corvette dealer in Michigan. —Jim Dunne

1. Chevy will offer manual transmission on the new ’Vette.

Verdict: False
Word is that the blown engine is too strong for any of GM’s manuals, so the uber Corvette will only come in automatic. It’s a reversal of precedent—the automatic transmission proves stronger here than the manual.

2. The super Corvette will have twin turbochargers to develop 650 horsepower.

A single supercharger nestled between the cylinder banks with do the job all by itself. Reports have the intercooler mounted above the supercharger, just under the air scoop in the new hood.

3. Chevy plans to produce 3000 of the new ’Vettes.

Verdict: True
Dealers are already accepting orders for the 1500 cars we’ll see each year for the next two years. Then production will stop.

4. The new Corvette will cost $100,000.

The price tag we reported earlier could climb even higher. We now hear “between 100 and 125” as the target for Chevy marketers.

5. GM will drop the current Corvette Z06 from its lineup.

Verdict: Jury’s out
We’ve heard stories both ways—that the Z06 will continue on the moderate end of this high-performance series, or that it’ll be gone altogether. Not sure how this will shake out, but we’ll keep you posted.

Source: http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4219082.html

It'd be a shame if they dropped the Z06 because that means there'd be no median between the base Corvette and a $100-125K Corvette.:ugh

This info seems.........odd to me. I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

If it is true, I don't think the car will ever live down being an automatic only. The critics will call it a lack of engineering.

Still lot of rumors circulating. We'll find out the real deal next January at the North American International Show in Detroit.

GM un-veils it's newest Corvette in Detroit at this show.

Automatic or manual....won't separate buyers from dreamers.

"When they build it, enthusiasts will buy it."

IT makes alot of sense.
6L80 is already backing 525 horse 7.0 in the Callaway.
Intercooler above supercharger?? Nah, I think below, like 4.4 XLR-V.
Take alot of reliable components from different vehicles, combine them for the ultimate reliability.
Thats my theory.
Allthebest, c4c5

1. Chevy will offer manual transmission on the new ’Vette.

Word is that the blown engine is too strong for any of GM’s manuals, so the uber Corvette will only come in automatic. It’s a reversal of precedent—the automatic transmission proves stronger here than the manual.
Why can't GM use a manual transmission from one of their heavy duty trucks? I mean if that was built to handle all that torque can't it handle a lot of power as well with a few fixes? Just my words.

Why can't GM use a manual transmission from one of their heavy duty trucks? I mean if that was built to handle all that torque can't it handle a lot of power as well with a few fixes? Just my words.

I thought about that as well. I wonder why myself.

Maybe those trans can't shift as fast? Maybe it's an ergonomic issue?

HI there,
Consider the fact that the ZF manual backing Duramax or the New Venture 3500 manual are all MUCH heavier then the T56 in Corvette right now.
I think the WEIGHT has alot to do with it.
Allthebest, c4c5

3. Chevy plans to produce 3000 of the new ’Vettes.

Dealers are already accepting orders for the 1500 cars we’ll see each year for the next two years. Then production will stop.

4. The new Corvette will cost $100,000.

The price tag we reported earlier could climb even higher. We now hear “between 100 and 125” as the target for Chevy marketers.

Source: http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4219082.html

I just wonder how much above MSRP these prices will be jacked up wit such a limited number produced? :eek:hnoes

I love my vette for sure but at that price someone else can own them!

The Corvette is not inexpensive by any means and can be afforded by most. I paid $52,000 for my 2004 Z06 and while it was more than I really wanted to pay I could still afford it. :beer

If GM decides to raise the bar to $100,000 to $125,000 they'll be putting Americas only true sports car out of reach for most including me. ;shrug

I believe it all when I see it on the Chevrolet web-site, the cars are being tested by the various auto magazine publications, or the cars are sitting on the dealer shoroom floor. Until then anyone can makeup some BS and publish it. I find it hard to believe that a dealer is able to know that much about a car that is still being designed, engineered, and factory tested. I am sure that there is a very small and select group that are working on the next Vettes.

I agree. Most dealers are the last to know R&D info. There are a select few who are in the know. I cannot believe that the Corvette will be offered in automatic only. There are tuners out there right now that are making Corvettes with 650 or more ponies that are using manual transmissions.

I know a guy that works on this project and drives one home regularly. Yep, it is seen in his driveway!!! His is a paddle shift, don't know if that's the only trans available though. awesome car

Auto only makes sense to me. They will have to tighten it up a bit though. It will be out of my league so it is all moot to me. The Vipers guys are already whining about this car and can't stand the fact that an 07 Z06 is very close already and with a few mods can beat them easily.

I know a guy that works on this project and drives one home regularly. Yep, it is seen in his driveway!!! His is a paddle shift, don't know if that's the only trans available though. awesome car
And you've never snuck a picture and posted it here nor said anything before??? ...;squint:...

Of all the rags out there, Popular Mechanics is the least prone to BS or release conjecture. They are respected in Detroit, and usually have the straight scoop.:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom