Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Possible battery drain cause

Mike2001

Corvette
2006 Convertible Triple Black
Could storing the key fob within ten feet of the car cause a drain on the car’s battery?

Could storing the key fob within ten feet of the car cause a drain on the car’s battery?
Leave the keys in the ign to keep the alarm shut off and get a battery tender.
Works for me

HI there,
Yes, it most certainly can.
Allthebest, c4c5

Outside of the possible security issue, while my C6 is in my garage for a few days is it best to just leave the key fob in the car.

Long periods of storage would be handled by a battery tender.

Hi there,
No, its better to put the key fob in the house, away from the car as far as possible.
And you should simply disconnect the negative battery cable for extended storage and NOT use a battery charger.
Allthebest, :hb

And you should simply disconnect the negative battery cable for extended storage and NOT use a battery charger.
Allthebest,

I couldn’t help but notice this post. (Not to hi-jack Mike2001’s thread) But would you recommend this approach on C4’s also?

B17Crew
:w

Hi there,
No, its better to put the key fob in the house, away from the car as far as possible.
Allthebest, :hb

I routinely use a battery disconect on my "play" vehicles, but I have always put them on the positive side. Do you just recomend the negative side on the new computer cars, or on all?

Thanks......................

C4C5Spec., I dis-connect also, I'm not fond of plugging my car in, would prefer that the field isn't hot in any manner, I just charge be for I bring them out.

HI there,
Adding a little bit of information on this issue.
GM has just added a bulletin for reprogramming the remote control door lock receiver to repair a 30 milliamp draw.
You can reference here for further information.
http://www.corvettemechanic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444
MODERATORS, feel free to add this to the knowledgebase.

Allthebest, :bash

C4C5,
About disconnecting the negative cable, doesn't this mean you have to re-establish the drive cycle each and every time you reconnect the battery. Which would also mean that in states like NC that use the OBD II check for vehicle inspection you need to drive the car for a few days prior to the inspection to assure the drive cycle is re-established or you fail the inspection.
Right or wrong?

MMM

C4C5,
About disconnecting the negative cable, doesn't this mean you have to re-establish the drive cycle each and every time you reconnect the battery. Which would also mean that in states like NC that use the OBD II check for vehicle inspection you need to drive the car for a few days prior to the inspection to assure the drive cycle is re-established or you fail the inspection.
Right or wrong?

MMM
Yes the ECM will have to relearn parameters but it don't take it that long,If the check engine light is working and not on, and the ECM will communicate with State Inspection computer,It will pass NC Emissions Inspection!!!:upthumbs

HI there,
Based on certain drive cycles, yes, you will have to perform at least 1 full drive cycle prior to the monitoring systems to update to pass or fail.
Now, that being said, I tell my customers to start it up cold and then goto a highway and drive for 15 mins, sustained speed.
That will usually allow all monitoring systems to pass and then you can go to emissions.
Allthebest, :Bash

Junk,
The last time I had to reset the drive cycle monitors it took about 100 miles of driving. I initially tried using the GM procedure to reset the drive cycle, but had a hard time following in on the densely traveled public roads in this part of the state. So I drove it for two days and checked the monitor(s) status with an OBD II Code. Nothing was flashing anymore so it passed. Previously it failed after driving it for only 25 miles after reconnecting the battery. When I checked the ECM with the code reader it showed two monitors (and I forget which ones) not yet reset (flashing).
My point is do not disconnect the battery, immediately drive it to be inspected and expect it to pass.
Mike

Junk,
The last time I had to reset the drive cycle monitors it took about 100 miles of driving. I initially tried using the GM procedure to reset the drive cycle, but had a hard time following in on the densely traveled public roads in this part of the state. So I drove it for two days and checked the monitor(s) status with an OBD II Code. Nothing was flashing anymore so it passed. Previously it failed after driving it for only 25 miles after reconnecting the battery. When I checked the ECM with the code reader it showed two monitors (and I forget which ones) not yet reset (flashing).
My point is do not disconnect the battery, immediately drive it to be inspected and expect it to pass.
Mike
I drive them to Black Mountain (Over the Big Hill!!) 8 mi on I-40,never had one not pass!;shrug :upthumbs

If you leave the keys in the car you should NEVER push them all the way in the ignition. When the key is put all the way in the ignition the ECM signals all the microprocessors to power up. That will shorten the life of any electronic part. We have a lot of them in these cars.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom